Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got a little bit anyway...
f53e7bdf15a9237d7641d037f6c0811d.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I live on a hill and have a hard time finding any flat ground to put my firewood racks. A couple weeks ago I got 2 yards of stone and leveled a small area. The following Sunday I went down back to set the racks up. All my stone was washed down the hill. Monday I bought a skid of 90 cinder blocks and built a dry stack wall. I'm pouring sacrete in the corners to lock them together, and back filed the downhill side with fill from another project. Put drain pipe on the up hill side and filled with crushers run. Next year I may go up two more courses so i can fill and level more space. Space is 20 feet long, and keeps getting wider.View attachment 755911 View attachment 755912 View attachment 755913
As you level and create small terraces, try to remember to supply plenty of drainage so as to avoid as much erosion as possible and keep the old farmers adage " water always wins" in mind.

Splitter maintenance day. Changed hydraulic oil 2x's to get as much water contamination out as possible the filter with the last. Had some auction Baldwin filter on it before. Should have looked ahead and ordered online 1-12 threads aren't stocked real well around here. Had to pay $18xx for a Wix filter only paid $21xx for the 5 gallon pail hydraulic oil. The Honda got some fresh 0w20 for the winter.

So guess I have no excuses not to start cutting the box elder logs I put out back.
ibc near me

Splitter maintenance day. Changed hydraulic oil 2x's to get as much water contamination out as possible the filter with the last. Had some auction Baldwin filter on it before. Should have looked ahead and ordered online 1-12 threads aren't stocked real well around here. Had to pay $18xx for a Wix filter only paid $21xx for the 5 gallon pail hydraulic oil. The Honda got some fresh 0w20 for the winter.

So guess I have no excuses not to start cutting the box elder logs I put out back.
ibc near me
I need to do some maintenance on mine also but probably not this year. Has a hydraulic leak and oil needs changed but im not sure how much wood ill be splitting this year

I need to do some maintenance on mine also but probably not this year. Has a hydraulic leak and oil needs changed but im not sure how much wood ill be splitting this year

Did my maintenance last night. Cleaned and greased the SS. Check all the hardware. Then moved over to the skiddy and greased that one too.

I carry several sizes of bars, pinch one, drop the power head and put on another size. Nice thing about inboard clutches (Stihl), easy to drop the power head.
Had a big oak I was attempting to pull west that was determined to go NE sit down on my 32" bar. I pulled the power head and went to get some bigger wedges. Just as I got to the shed I heard the tree fall. Got there at a run and to my dismay my bar was standing at about 60° angle from the stump. My heart sank and I continued up to the tree plucked up my bar and chain. Which on further examination had only slightly pinched the edge of the tip. Thankfully it wasn't a tomato stake after all!

I'll tell you what, this cooler weather sure get's a guy's blood moving for wood cutting, camp fires, and hunting. I think we peaked out around 65 today with a stiff breeze to keep things cool.

I am going to try and knock down two cords of wood this Saturday through Monday and get them delivered, then I will only have another cord and half on my plate outside of my own supply. Would like to do 8 cords of boiler wood which shouldn't be too difficult between now and deer season.

Next Friday is my birthday, and I was thinking of taking a ride over to the "Lost 40" so named as it was missed in survey and as a result it was never logged so it is the only pure stand of virgin white pine timber remaining in the area (maybe anywhere??).

https://www.dnr.state.mn.us/snas/detail.html?id=sna01063

Also, it will be my 40th birthday and I am always a bit lost LOL

Anybody here going to the Paul Bunyan Festival the first weekend in October? I have a full crew going, just wondering who might be there.
I'll go, can you pick me up on the way :rock:.
I was thinking about you when I saw these, weren't you looking for the hats at one point.
https://sleequipment.com/echo-99988801209-value-pack.html
I need some new ears myself, mine are pretty rough except the ones on my helmets and I don't want to have to wear those all the time.
https://sleequipment.com/echo-99988801525-hearing-protection-safety-glasses-value-pack.html

ibc near me
Check NAPA for filters.

Back