auxiliary oiler

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Learnslab

Reaction score
Hi, and thanks for reading my question. I would like to know if I can put a auxiliary oil on a hard nose bar. All of the videos I've seen show sprocket tooth bars. Thanks

My opinion is you really need an auxiliary oiler if you are using a hardnose to help with the increased friction of not having the sprocket .

Which brings up a question: Is it best to mount the oiler before or after the chain rounds the nose?

And, another dilemma: I bought the Granberg oil insertion nut/bolt for my homemade oiler, but haven't drilled a bar yet. Just using the drip on top method for now. My notion is that I would rather oil the chain after it passes the tip. However, to achieve this, I would need to drill a hole on both sides if I am going to flip my bar. I don't want to do that because of oil loss through the unplugged hole. Am I best just drilling one hole and inserting oil before the nose on some cuts and after the cut when I flip the bar?

Thoughts?

My opinion is you really need an auxiliary oiler if you are using a hardnose to help with the increased friction of not having the sprocket .

Which brings up a question: Is it best to mount the oiler before or after the chain rounds the nose?

After, if its before the oils gets flung off the nose by centrifugal force as the chain goes around the nose.

And, another dilemma: I bought the Granberg oil insertion nut/bolt for my homemade oiler, but haven't drilled a bar yet. Just using the drip on top method for now. My notion is that I would rather oil the chain after it passes the tip. However, to achieve this, I would need to drill a hole on both sides if I am going to flip my bar. I don't want to do that because of oil loss through the unplugged hole. Am I best just drilling one hole and inserting oil before the nose on some cuts and after the cut when I flip the bar?
Forget the insertion bolt method. Just drip the oil direct onto the line where the chain kisses the bar just after it goes around the nose. No holes required. No worries about flipping bar. Dripping is not quite as efficient but it also will not get blocked. If you are worried use bit more oil. This is about the amount of oil I like to see on Aussie hardwoods - you softwoods won't need as much.

noseoil.jpg

Latest posts

Back