Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lol! He has had an incredible summer. I suspect he is clearly going to be BBC sports personality of the year and no doubt Liz will pin a medal of some kind to his chest. He's not someone I've particularly liked, his temper/temperament had got him in trouble a few times and I much prefer 'professionals'. However his performances on the pitch this summer have been legendary.

I can't see us getting it together to win the ashes, but my oh my it would be nice if or batsman performed for once.

Last couple of birfdays, I've made sure I made some time to run a saw...which I haven't done for a couple of months at least :eek:. A dead wattle fell onto the deer fence I put up around Cowgirl's horticultural compound so it had to go. The small stuff was all broken up for kindling, then I carried the trunk @Logger nate 's son style over to the flat spot in front of the woodshed to cut up.

View attachment 756252

Really like the logosol, makes dicing up long poles easy.

View attachment 756253

So, some firepit wood, dry and ready to go. Admittedly not the world's biggest scrounge but it was good to run a saw just to help get some lead back in the pencil.

View attachment 756254

:)
:muscle:

Your cake looked great!!:)

View attachment 755987 40” long by 47” wide 32” at the peak. The best way I had to stack without support.

How much would you guestimate I have? 1/8 cord? Just want to make sure when I put an add up on marketplace, my usual go to customers are stocked....View attachment 755986

I come up with 17.4 cubic feet. So, about 1/8 cord, a little more. 1/8 cord=16 cubic feet; 1/7 cord=18.285 cubic ft.

I come up with 17.4 cubic feet. So, about 1/8 cord, a little more. 1/8 cord=16 cubic feet; 1/7 cord=18.285 cubic ft.
I've got six rows of 5.5x5.5x1.33(16or so) in the woodshed, I figure its around 1.9 cord which is about half of what I need for the yr. The woodshed fits 10 of those rows each side so around 3.2 cord and I use around 3.5 so with all the odds and anything I want to cut during the winter that is dead standing and gets brought directly into the house I should be set.
I'm really looking forward to not having to lift a tarp for my personal wood this yr :).

I've got six rows of 5.5x5.5x1.33(16or so) in the woodshed, I figure its around 1.9 cord which is about half of what I need for the yr. The woodshed fits 10 of those rows each side so around 3.2 cord and I use around 3.5 so with all the odds and anything I want to cut during the winter that is dead standing and gets brought directly into the house I should be set.
I'm really looking forward to not having to lift a tarp for my personal wood this yr :).
Stacking is one of those meditative states. It sure beats picking off a wood pile under a foot of snow.

These last 2 summers have been pretty wet. I have 6 1/2 cord in the shed for this year. Will try adding what ever looks dry enough. Have a eyed up a couple barkless elms that oughta dry out fast.

Fall projects are going to be put off. Just too much living in the way!

My son sent me this from his bait station bear cam.
signal-2019-08-20-200640.jpg
If gets that one he'll have a nice candidate for a full mount.

Stacking is one of those meditative states. It sure beats picking off a wood pile under a foot of snow.

These last 2 summers have been pretty wet. I have 6 1/2 cord in the shed for this year. Will try adding what ever looks dry enough. Have a eyed up a couple barkless elms that oughta dry out fast.

Fall projects are going to be put off. Just too much living in the way!

My son sent me this from his bait station bear cam.
View attachment 756349
If gets that one he'll have a nice candidate for a full mount.
That thing is a hog for sure. Of all the aspects of heating with wood I hate stacking wood the most.

I'll tell you what, this cooler weather sure get's a guy's blood moving for wood cutting, camp fires, and hunting. I think we peaked out around 65 today with a stiff breeze to keep things cool.

I am going to try and knock down two cords of wood this Saturday through Monday and get them delivered, then I will only have another cord and half on my plate outside of my own supply. Would like to do 8 cords of boiler wood which shouldn't be too difficult between now and deer season.
That’s for sure! Love the the fall weather.

Nice scrounge today. I was taking a walk yesterday night with the baby and I saw this one street from home. She said take what you want and you can cut it in 16” right there. Sugar maple and beech. So nice rainy day playing with the saws .I got 2 full trailer loads. I guess it gonna be close to one full cord. Between 16” and 24” diameter trees.

E4C58E33-71CD-42E2-A813-90A7D86A4CBF.jpeg 5BC01B02-1CB4-4413-92D1-BAEB7C937D8D.jpeg 358895DB-3B4B-4494-B61F-613B6D0C0C0D.jpeg 807DFDFF-D1C1-444B-BA95-BF095AFA2DE6.jpeg CA8F7C97-4397-481A-9657-CA5FC4D6A508.jpeg 48EB8B23-8EA8-4A87-9CD4-88B8430163B1.jpeg

Stacking is a rather pleasant enterprise. re-stacking after a rick falls down is not. Just came in from a rick of oak that fell last week. Last year was the first year I ever lucked into oak. I did discover that due to the weight and rough bark one cannot pound a leaning rick back into shape. Looks like the next rick down the row will be falling sometime soon.

That thing is a hog for sure. Of all the aspects of heating with wood I hate stacking wood the most.

I like to stack while I manually split. Split a chunk, stack, repeat. Not bad. With the hydraulic splitter it is 'split a bunch, then stack. That I do not like.

Back