Axe restoration thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not much to resto do do on this yardsale find .

5 Sheckels

0c4452df7854ae43b63f38b8bc12f395.jpg
423031bc7aa29c5d78286a288eeb0e68.jpg

The previous tenant left this on the back deck. What do you think? Odd splitting maul or railroad spike driver. :) It's marked L8NRR on top (or bottom) and ALLOY on the other. it's 10.5" long and 1-7/8" tall at the eye.

View attachment 716255 View attachment 716256 View attachment 716257
That is I believe what is referred to as a track chisel. When I worked for Canadian Pacific Rail 40 years ago we used them to knock the nuts off a "rattler". A ratler was a stripped bolt holding the rails together. One guy, usually me on our crew would hold the handle and place the sharp end on the nut. The other guy would hit the head with a 10 lb sledge to split the nut.
I have one, and when I get home I'll post a picture. I'm pretty sure mine is marked CPR. This is the first thing I know about anything you guys have posted. I've used a lot of axes and hatchets over the years, just never paid much attention to them unless they need sharpening.

I took the head off today , it was a bad hang and bad grain orientation on that Mann so I popped the wedges out and took the head off , I'll reuse the haft on a non-user that I have to rehang .
I weighed the head , it is a 3.4 lb'er .
I did rehaft a 3 lb sb Swede today :)

Dang it man that is sweet. What kind of money would I have to send you for one of them? [emoji16]

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Perhaps talk that old timer into giving you that Hytest Tassie in his saw shop and I might be inclined to consider a trade ;)

Went to an auction yesterday to bid on an old Poulan Super 68. Got it and it runs. While I was waiting for the saw they had a row of hand tools leaning against a fence. The auctioneer said high bid gets choice. They did half a row at a time
The high bid was $25 and the guy took a can't hook. Next bid was $10, and an Amish fellow took a digging bar and a plastic leaf rake. The rest of the row went for $1. The Amish guy was looking at the axes, so i had high bid at $7.50, and took both. One Plumb double and one Pennsylvania Rail Road. At first I thought the Plumb had been re hung. After looking at it I'm not sure.20190830_092440.jpg 20190830_092437.jpg

Back