Paint job sticker shock

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What??
For that price you can get a semi tractor repainted.The high price that is...
You talking about the Silverado you have?
Is maaco still in business?

The 6K job was for just a two tone fade with clear coat.
The 15K was for the same paint job plus bumper and door seals and new window seals plus new seat covers and a new dash cover plus custom interior wood trim.
Both the custom paint and interior was 3K in 1994. I only paid 18K for the truck new with 3K custom conversion.

Yes,quarter of a century ago.
I don't mean to sound condensendig,but it's a 90s Silverado.
If you had a square body,you'd have something.
Got rid of mine in 2016,same year.
Buy new,and then I drive them until there's nothing left.
Body was in great shape,no rust,interior was C+,but had over 300000 miles and the damn transmission was acting up again.
Didn't want to rebuild it again.
That would have been the 3rd time.
And the wife HATED that truck ever since I bought it.Whenever she had to drive it,may as well tried to feed her raw liver
Bought a Tundra (something different),and have the same mentality.
I WON'T abuse any of my vehicles,but use them.
I buy new,and wear them out...

Yes,quarter of a century ago.
I don't mean to sound condensendig,but it's a 90s Silverado.
If you had a square body,you'd have something.
Got rid of mine in 2016,same year.
Buy new,and then I drive them until there's nothing left.
Body was in great shape,no rust,interior was C+,but had over 300000 miles and the damn transmission was acting up again.
Didn't want to rebuild it again.
That would have been the 3rd time.
And the wife HATED that truck ever since I bought it.Whenever she had to drive it,may as well tried to feed her raw liver
Bought a Tundra (something different),and have the same mentality.
I WON'T abuse any of my vehicles,but use them.
I buy new,and wear them out...

I bought mine new in 94 and it's only got 190K on it, so it's still got some life left in it. It drives great and runs like a top. Has the 5.7 motor with the 4 speed automatic and has never let me down. I just had the front end done a few years ago and the guy said he hadn't seen a truck that old that had never had the front end worked on. I put a new starter on it a few months ago because it was starting to click before it turned over so I replaced it before I stranded me somewhere.
The Texas sun has taken it's toll on the paint and the dash but it still runs great.
It has one little door ding and the left rear quarter panel need fixing where I blew a tire and it tore up the rear fender a little bit.
I'm not paying 70K for a new double cab. Don't want a double cab, don't need a double cab and there to long.
Can't find a single cab with the high country package, only an Lt work truck and there over 50K

What I want is a single cab 3/4 tun 4x4 with the 6.2 gas and 10 speed automatic in the high country trim package, but they don't make them.

It did start jumping in and out of gear but it was the TPS sensor not a transmission issue. A simple 30 dollar part fixed it rite up.

The only thing that truck ever pulled was a 19' bass boat.
Occasionally m(twice a year)16' stock trailer with 3/6 hogs@280/300#.
Have probably way over 2.5 million miles driving a semi.
Pneumatic and end dump on road and construction sites.
Friend has a 97,no problem with transmission but electrical is giving him fits.
Sometimes stuff just happens...

I forgot all about the 4 computers they had to put in.
2 under warranty,the other two I paid for.
Still have some sensors in the shop,after you mentioned tps.

Yeah, most of the stuff I have replace is just normal wear and tear stuff that you would have to do to any truck thats 25 years old and driven everyday.

some picks of the old truck

Attachments

• IMG_4733.JPG
    IMG_4733.JPG
    4.5 MB · Views: 20
  • IMG_4736.JPG
    IMG_4736.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 20
  • IMG_4737.JPG
    IMG_4737.JPG
    4.3 MB · Views: 22
  • IMG_4738.JPG
    IMG_4738.JPG
    4.4 MB · Views: 21
  • IMG_4753.JPG
    IMG_4753.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_4755.JPG
    IMG_4755.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 19
  • IMG_4787.JPG
    IMG_4787.JPG
    3.7 MB · Views: 16
I have that same truck but mine is a 1990 K2500 extended cab long bed with a million miles. I can only track the last 3 owners but I know it has had at least five. Mine is in primer now due to the surface rust when I bought it. Late 80's to early 90's GM's are known for bad paint, loose headliners, and weak transmissons. I am honestly surprised that your 700R4 hasn't been replaced a time or two. Mine has and now has a TH400. But back on topic now.

I have painted more than a couple of vehicles over the years. 6k is steep, but I could care less about two tone fade away paint. I walk into the paint store and say I want blue (or red or black or white). Then they say Ford blue, metallic flake, pearl blue, baby blue, and I interrupt, "what is the cheapest?" Then they point me to the blem rack and I pick up two different shades of blue and say "mix these together and give me all the necessary thinner, hardener, primer and clear coat to do a full sized truck." Then I talk them down to the lowest price I can get. Now for myself I will walk out of the store with $200 in paint and head home to strip and prime the truck. Most of the time and expense in paint is in the prep work anyway. In your case I would take that price to the body shop and make them show me the breakdown of expenses. When they get to the product cost, pull out the quote you got and call BS.

Another option between diy and body shop is vocational school. I have had a couple of vehicles painted this way. It helps to have a son in school there or have a cousin who teaches school there, but just a good friend who is a school teacher will work. You may have to sign your vehicle over to them (and pay whatever taxes your state demands to do that) but you can get a car painted for free or cost of materials there. If you are really lucky you might even get stuff like replacing the cab corners that always rust out on these trucks replaced for cost.

I have that same truck but mine is a 1990 K2500 extended cab long bed with a million miles. I can only track the last 3 owners but I know it has had at least five. Mine is in primer now due to the surface rust when I bought it. Late 80's to early 90's GM's are known for bad paint, loose headliners, and weak transmissons. I am honestly surprised that your 700R4 hasn't been replaced a time or two. Mine has and now has a TH400. But back on topic now.

I have painted more than a couple of vehicles over the years. 6k is steep, but I could care less about two tone fade away paint. I walk into the paint store and say I want blue (or red or black or white). Then they say Ford blue, metallic flake, pearl blue, baby blue, and I interrupt, "what is the cheapest?" Then they point me to the blem rack and I pick up two different shades of blue and say "mix these together and give me all the necessary thinner, hardener, primer and clear coat to do a full sized truck." Then I talk them down to the lowest price I can get. Now for myself I will walk out of the store with $200 in paint and head home to strip and prime the truck. Most of the time and expense in paint is in the prep work anyway. In your case I would take that price to the body shop and make them show me the breakdown of expenses. When they get to the product cost, pull out the quote you got and call BS.

Another option between diy and body shop is vocational school. I have had a couple of vehicles painted this way. It helps to have a son in school there or have a cousin who teaches school there, but just a good friend who is a school teacher will work. You may have to sign your vehicle over to them (and pay whatever taxes your state demands to do that) but you can get a car painted for free or cost of materials there. If you are really lucky you might even get stuff like replacing the cab corners that always rust out on these trucks replaced for cost.

I actually like the fade paint, at least the color mine is in and they did a great job blending the fade compared to others I have seen.

Back