What takes pine tree sap off a chainsaw??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I rubbed my saw with kerosene this morning, and it cleaned up a little bit. I clean my motorcycle chains with kerosene so nothing new to me. Figured there must be something better because it didn't do much for the caked on sap. Tried some 91% isopropyl alcohol and cotton balls from the grocery store and it worked 100 times better! Sap was gone in seconds. Thanks for the alcohol tip guys!

I just leave the rosin, mostly from Balsam Fir, on the saw. I cut many other species at the same time so the total buildup is not all that much. A solid week in only one Pine/Fir species would be different.

The upside of ignoring it is that I could pick out my saw from any quantity of same model saws sitting near it, just about instantly.

Rubbing alcohol and automotive buffing wax are what I use to remove all sap from vehicles. Works on glass, plastic , mag wheels. No residue and safe on the paint. Imagine it would work the same on a saw.

Baby oil is good to get it off your hands.....otherwise......my rule is "like dissolves like" from chemistry class. Oil products dissolve oil products

Diesel or kerosene works best but stinks. Follow up with dish detergent/water. VERY CHEAP too.

We used diesel on the rollers when cutting WP on the edger. When mill was down, we sprayed the rollers. Pitch would make the flitches feed sideways. Bad boards.

Latest posts

Back