Two Splitter Plan?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dstrick

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
30822D3E-08F1-4D33-B1DD-8EDEECFFCA8B.jpeg I’m wondering if the two splitter plan may be optimal. A vertical to break large rounds (Pacific Northwest style pushing 38”) into chunks that one of the mini processors, like Wolfe Ridge or Eastonmade, can one hit into spec firewood sticks. Here’s my dilemma:
(Insert picture below here)

Does this sound reasonable? Re-splits on 38” round sounds and looks like a pain.

I have a two splitter plan, but mine is more of a backup plan. With a log lift there is no need for what you are saying. I have hydraulics to move the wood back on the cradle where it gets split small enough to throw onto the conveyor. The log lift can raise rounds to 60'' easy, but I could see that a very heavy round could bend the lift if is was not just right square. Why would you want to split your wood then move it to another splitter. Why not just split it and move it to a truck or pile in one step. Thanks

I had a TW-6 with log lift, and found quartering large rounds and re-splitting on a SuperSplit was too much extra handling. I re-designed the four-way win of the wedge into a shelf. That made re-splitting easier, with very little handling. The big pieces stay on top of the wing. Raise it out of the way and split under it. Now I just noodle to size and split with a SuperSplit. I tried quartering with the TW and re-splitting with the SuperSplit, but found it to be too much rehandling.
IMG_1467.jpg IMG_1519.jpg IMG_1518.jpg IMG_1521.jpg IMG_1515.jpg

Nice mod there Sandhill. I see how that helps. But now you think noodling is faster than 1/4 splitting? And you went from a TW-6 to a noodling Supersplit setup?

I recently bought a skid steer splitter now to break the big rounds down. Than I will use the SS to finish. It limits my handling. Plus the skid steer has heat and ac so I can use it in the dead of summer or winter. I contemplated buying a nicer splitter with a lift but decided to do it this way. Next investment is a conveyor.

If you’re going with a splitter with a log lift, why the news for the vertical? I have TW6 with a 6 way wedge and with 3 people working it the other day we split 6 cords of wood in 5.5 hours and had to move it half a dozen times. I usually only ever have 2 guys work it at a time but I really wanted to get that job done fast.

700E44BF-2443-434C-A3F4-9BD925A128BC.jpeg BB046F65-E952-4445-A2DA-DFB83EBB1E1B.jpeg
If you’re going with a splitter with a log lift, why the news for the vertical? I have TW6 with a 6 way wedge and with 3 people working it the other day we split 6 cords of wood in 5.5 hours and had to move it half a dozen times. I usually only ever have 2 guys work it at a time but I really wanted to get that job done fast.
Well heck if the log lift models handle 32”-36” without much trouble I’m good with ones I’m looking at. TW sure has a following. I was looking at the other two brands mentioned but ok on TW then. I’m going to be operating mostly solo.

Oh by the way, not to go too far off topic. If you see the back of that shed in the picture, it’s solid walled. I had the middle of my stack mold and not fully season since January 2019 when I filled it. Each bay is 11’x11’x 6.5’ high. A strategic move of the center to my outside south facing open air stack should finish it before the tarps go on. I’m still dialing in on firewood y’all. But definitely go out and get yourselves a Solo Stove, they’re amazing.

Not a fan of the fat TW style wedge. Eastonmade looks pretty good to me, but I've never have used one. I emailed him once, and he emailed right back. Says a lot right there I think. Also talked with him at the Paul Bunyan Show in Ohio.
I use two log decks. Last fall I modified one by decking it over because short pieces would fall through the rails . That also gave me a platform to noodle on. The large pieces and short logs came from a neighbors. Most of what I buy is 6"-16" x 100", so much, much smaller than what your doing.
At one time I thought about getting a vertical/horizontal splitter, adding 4' width to the log deck and setting it up vertical on top of the deck. Tip up the rounds, and slide the rounds on conveyor rollers to the vertical splitter. The control valve might have to be relocated.
Not enough big stuff to do that, but the idea was from the bench to the SuperSplit.
I put the TW money towards a one ton pickup a year and a half ago. No regrets.
Note: In the fifth picture the splitter is backwards. The Beech and Oak from the neighbors got thrown in a trailer and hauled to the wood shed.
As rider said, without a conveyor you will need to move it frequently with wood that large. Makes for a lot of great barkless splits which is really clean firewood.
IMG_9981.jpg IMG_0600.jpg IMG_0602.jpg 57550275271__A03D07FE-FEBF-4837-AC96-EAD7199F2BA1.jpg IMG_0592.jpg 58800488096__E06709CF-DEB3-4DC2-857E-331E65246B96.jpg IMG_0246.jpg IMG_0243.jpg

Sandhill I see a lot of large rounds in this region. What’s a 16” look like ? From where my rounds lay I could roll down a gentle slope to a vertical to chunk out the equivalent of some 16-18” rounds by volume and stack on a log lift and hit it with a six way knife. Then stack right into my shed. Or cart to an open air stack or pile. That’s why potentially a two splitter setup may work. I think I can split chunks faster and less mess than noodling. I do know how to noodle just fine though (see my pile).

H
View attachment 756502 View attachment 756501
Well heck if the log lift models handle 32”-36” without much trouble I’m good with ones I’m looking at. TW sure has a following. I was looking at the other two brands mentioned but ok on TW then. I’m going to be operating mostly solo.
How much wood do you produce each year? I love my TW6 but I only run it when I absolutely have to when it’s just me. Machines like that are meant for more than one person in my opinion. They just aren’t efficient with one guy.

If I was doing a one man setup and looking at something like a TW 6 I'd probably opt for the eastonmade with the box wedge. I was also interested to see the automatic bio mass with a box wedge in person. Liked how it looked. Pretty sure I saw one with a return on it so you aren't hogging the rounds back and forth.

I ran the TW-6 from the log lift side. That's where the wood pile or log is. If possible I would stage the wood on a very slight up hill from the splitter to ease rolling to the log lift.
Splitting with the original four-way large pieces would fall sideways off the wedge and onto the ground on both sides. That created lots of extra work, especially the large pieces falling to the opposite side as the log lift.
The machine can be run efficiently single handed with the modification and a pulp hook. It did not work well with my conveyor, but the conveyor is not a Timberwolf either.
Efficiency, I think, should be calculated in man hour/cord so machines and even processors can be compared realistically. It takes me four hours to cut and split a cord, about, depending, but that's an honest number. Sometimes I can do it in three. It also includes using the PackFix to bundle and move the wood on pallets. With your TW-6 you have to stop and move the splitter and hand throw the upper portion of your windrow. Everyones different. Using your numbers: 3 guys; 5 1/2 hrs; 6 cord. 6 cord/16.5 hrs = 0.36 cord/hr (I think I did that right) I'm at 1 guy; 4 hrs; 1 cord = 0.25 cords/hr
Lots of variables to sort out. Does that include cutting the logs; what other equipment/costs are there; how is the over all cost/efficiency from start to finish, including delivery.
When delivering I touch every single piece unloading off a flatbed. Not very efficient.
To answer your first question, I do sixty to seventy cord per year. Right now I'm at 25 cord.

I have a Wolfe ridge splitter and very happy with it, so far nothing I’d want to change or modify. I don’t see anything in that pile that would be an issue. I do like the sharp narrow wedge, it slices right thru twisted knots. I have both 4 and 6 way wedges, I pretty much leave the 4 way on for larger wood.

Dsvick You haven't said how many cords a year you do and what you budget is. I have always ran homemade splitters and the current one has a log lift and will handle your size locust rounds no problem. A couple years ago I went to Iowa to work some wood for a friend that had some health issues. I took a buddy and we spend four days there cutting rounds out of logs and splitting and stacking for his OWB. His splitter was a TW-6 nice splitter but the working height was just too low for both of us. I am about six foot and my buddy is just over six foot after running it for four days my back was killing me bending over all the time running it. If I was buying new I would look a Eastmade with a box wedge and make sure he builds it to your best working height. I would also highly suggest you get a conveyor. It was one of the best things I did for my operation .

I plan 20 cord a year for me to consume and sell surplus. Two neighbors I will let run it may total 10 cord for personal use because they have flatbed trailer and Kubota that they share. This is a 30 cord a year machine. I need the splitter and a dump trailer right now and I’m set. I may set up small LLC to operate under. I sold 5 cord last weekend with people begging for more as I was dumping. This is only for fun, hobby, to make just enough to pay for the tools to make my personal wood cheap and have a small business to move cash through. And teach our kids how to work before they leave home.

Back