The "Not So Pro" discussion thread...of course Pros are welcome!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Whayne Cat is the same way. They don’t give a damn about the little guy.

If that 320 isn’t at least a B-2 model run the hell away. The C and D series are way better, and I’d much rather have an older Hitachi over an old Cat.

We have a standard 320 it’s fine for its use of 10 hours a year but the same year kobelco out works it with more hours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We have a standard 320 it’s fine for its use of 10 hours a year but the same year kobelco out works it with more hours.

That’s what I mean, the early models were turds, and the layout inside for maintenance is atrocious. Fuel economy for the amount of work the early 300 series excavators did was awful, I still can’t believe how many 375s they sold that are still working daily.

The B series twos (345 and 365 in particular) Cat figured out how to outwork everybody else but still at the cost of fuel. The C series were/are awesome, and the D series are the cat’s ass. Since then I feel like other brands have gained ground or overtaken Cat in the market. I’ve spent minimal time in Kobelco machines. The dealer network where I’m doing work is pretty lackluster. Around here I pretty much see Cat, John Deere, Komatsu (yuck) and Link-Belt in the bigger sector and Yanmar, Bobcat, JD and Case in the mini sector. Hitachi and Volvo both share Rudd that’s more interested in selling Link-Belt cranes and Volvo ADTs and loaders than excavators.

That’s what I mean, the early models were turds, and the layout inside for maintenance is atrocious. Fuel economy for the amount of work the early 300 series excavators did was awful, I still can’t believe how many 375s they sold that are still working daily.

The B series twos (345 and 365 in particular) Cat figured out how to outwork everybody else but still at the cost of fuel. The C series were/are awesome, and the D series are the cat’s ass. Since then I feel like other brands have gained ground or overtaken Cat in the market. I’ve spent minimal time in Kobelco machines. The dealer network where I’m doing work is pretty lackluster. Around here I pretty much see Cat, John Deere, Komatsu (yuck) and Link-Belt in the bigger sector and Yanmar, Bobcat, JD and Case in the mini sector. Hitachi and Volvo both share Rudd that’s more interested in selling Link-Belt cranes and Volvo ADTs and loaders than excavators.

We use to see a ton of kobelco, Komatsu, link belt, and JD before the factory shovels were built. Now it’s JD, Link Belt, Doosan is huge out here, Komatsu, and a little Cat. What’s impressive with that kobelco is the Mitsubishi engine and Kawasaki pumps haven’t been touched in almost 17k it’s cheap to run and is fast. The new 1270 has been very impressive for power as well as fuel economy I’m running less then 4 gallon an hour vs the same sized track machine was around 6.

I’ve always wanted to run a harvester with a processing head but the amount of work we do kind of precludes us owning one due to DBH and tree weight.

Stuff like this is more my speed... This machine in particular.

Attachments

• 77EBA02C-9E37-4875-A1A2-F285530F032C.jpeg
    77EBA02C-9E37-4875-A1A2-F285530F032C.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 30
I’ve always wanted to run a harvester with a processing head but the amount of work we do kind of precludes us owning one due to DBH and tree weight.

Stuff like this is more my speed... This machine in particular.

You’d be amazed at what they can do especially the big boys like a 626 or a 12000xt logmax be like hand falling put in a sight cut (term used loosely here) cut the back well pushing slightly and let her go. Even my little head will do 32” stuff it’s been interesting learn the new style of head what I can get away with and what I can’t.
810b15de3b46ba7e8003f0d8cd4ddbe2.jpg
712185c1e7d0753520f61b65f08936f3.jpg
e4cf18e2a58d18d136ebf09036881ce3.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You’d be amazed at what they can do especially the big boys like a 626 or a 12000xt logmax be like hand falling put in a sight cut (term used loosely here) cut the back well pushing slightly and let her go. Even my little head will do 32” stuff it’s been interesting learn the new style of head what I can get away with and what I can’t.

So on a big head like that will they handle big (~48”) hardwoods with codominant stems and huge canopies would I have to go to the stump and then stop and go to the stems/tops?

Then, I guess my next question is, what machine do I need to run something like that? Could I throw it on a 330 excavator and run it, or would I need a purpose built machine?

I looked at a video on Youtube with a 12000 head on a 330C but it’s only processing straight logs and the carrier is set up as a log loader.

So on a big head like that will they handle big (~48”) hardwoods with codominant stems and huge canopies would I have to go to the stump and then stop and go to the stems/tops?

Then, I guess my next question is, what machine do I need to run something like that? Could I throw it on a 330 excavator and run it, or would I need a purpose built machine?

A 330 would be on the small end of size range plus the hydraulics don’t offer exactly what you’d want for all day work, purpose built will always perform better they have pumps and coolers to run the heads plus travels. Size wise I’ve heard of guys stuffing 4’ fir through them or basically walking them down the stem. Depends on how you want to tackle the tree sometimes you’ll cut them stem by stem other times you take the whole thing, we do this a lot in thinning in that we’ll select the best stem out of the bunch in say alder or maple.

I looked at a video on Youtube with a 12000 head on a 330C but it’s only processing straight logs and the carrier is set up as a log loader.

Most will be set up as shovels since they will retire a shovel logger and put it to processing duties for an easier life.

Interesting. I had a 568 out last year and it sorta seemed to me like a 336E with a highwalker carriage and an extra swing motor. I never noticed it being that much better on the auxiliaries... Even with a big mulcher head or a 9,000 lb hammer.

I’m not sure if I could justify giving up one of the few 345/349/470s I’ll have to run a harvester head, seeing as they’re the next step up from a 75,000 lb machine. I kinda need those for deep & heavy utility work or digging rock. I definitely can’t afford to have a shovel out when we’re not in the woods all the time.

Whayne Cat is the same way. They don’t give a damn about the little guy.

If that 320 isn’t at least a B-2 model run the hell away. The C and D series are way better, and I’d much rather have an older Hitachi over an old Cat.

Took a day or two to get back to it, its a 320 L

Its pretty tired though, probably hasn't been greased in years, oil is as black as my soul, but it starts right up and gets to work, track motors aren't strong enough to turn with just track power so you have to do the bucket spin thing, and the tracks are trying real hard to fall off and die... part of one of the upper rollers is in the cab...

I like the way the cab is set up though, taller sticks easy to run foot controls, tall comfy seat that actually supports your back. Its also one of the smoothest running machines I've ran, ever. Despite the clanging and banging of the sloppy bucket and stick bushings.

the old Hitachi is fine and all, but the sticks are way out in front, and the seat is short and rather weak, keeps bending on me which is a sign that it will fail sooner or later, not to mention the arm rests are about on level with mid thigh, so I tend to hunch over the controls on it... its meant for a much smaller person to run in general, (who am I kidding nearly everything is meant for a much smaller person)

Interesting. I had a 568 out last year and it sorta seemed to me like a 336E with a highwalker carriage and an extra swing motor. I never noticed it being that much better on the auxiliaries... Even with a big mulcher head or a 9,000 lb hammer.

I’m not sure if I could justify giving up one of the few 345/349/470s I’ll have to run a harvester head, seeing as they’re the next step up from a 75,000 lb machine. I kinda need those for deep & heavy utility work or digging rock. I definitely can’t afford to have a shovel out when we’re not in the woods all the time.

Our 320 is a connector, 4 hoses, two pins to remove the head and put the dog bone back on to switch over to the bucket.

image.png image.png image.png Fair size White Oak that I jacked over. Didn't want to be pounding wedges and the forwarder blade was too low on the stump to tip it. After it was on the ground I used a mortise and tenon on a big leader. I know some of you frown upon GOL techniques, but it worked nicely here. Also one of many reasons I'm sold on square filing is ripping those big leaders. Maybe some of you can, but I could never get a round chain to rip fast and smooth.

So, I bought a log truck, Self loader...

And I'm finding myself in what can only be described as food deserts, little backwater S holes with only a tiny mini mart for anything resembling groceries...

I'm usually not very good at packing a lunch when I'm in either one of the trucks... cause hey I can stop and get something right... Wrong the Log truck is a real bastard to park at the best of times...

There is also the added fun of possibly getting stuck on some Gyppo's show with no way to get unstuck, or breaking down in BFE, or the midnight call out to rescue whoever..

so what I'm wondering is, what do you all suggest to keep in the truck for food stuffs, that can just stay in the truck until needed.

I'm thinking MRE's but they are super high in calories and my Fat ass doesn't need to hike 10 miles and burn off 2500 cal a meal...
but they do come with a heater, and all the utensils needed...

its that or cans of chili, beans, spa yeti O's, etc, and just keep a can opener and spoon on hand..

Donettes are fine and all... but I'm worried they won't last the first hour...

I usually have a box of cheez-its in the truck, I’ll usually eat a box in two weeks or so and they just stay in the truck regardless of weather. They’ve been my lunch or (sometimes and) dinner on several occasions. A bag of pistachio nuts are pretty well always in the F-250 too. My cutting partner is a big fan of the single serving peanut butter packs. As far as I know the oldest one she’s eaten is just over three years old and it was still good. They did a good job when her ‘97 F-250’s rear differential left her, the blue heeler and I stranded overnight. The dog was probably the happiest, but ya know.

Not for stuck in the woods, but I always carry peanut butter crackers and nuts in the console. Makes missing a regular meal easier. My stranded box under the seat carries more crackers, nuts, beef jerky and water. Used to carry some chocolate but it melts on warm days.

For frequent use, I suggest you pack a lunch. Crackers and nuts get old. And it is tempting to eat too many.
Ron

logging on the peninsula last winter I made sure to have a bag of chips and a couple liters of water in the truck... especially since more often then not i was left alone on a muddy landing 20 miles from the nearest anything...
came in handy more then a couple times.

Ever try to pull a loaded log truck up a muddy hill with a 120 excavator, solo, at night... with it trying to snow?

Latest posts

Back