Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Neil, it seems to be all on amongst assorted political puppets and pundits up there. Is the legal challenge going to be successful or are they going to have just two weeks before the brexit deadline to scupper a hard brexit?

No idea. my guess is we are crashing out though, the opposition don't have a plan, no alternative.

No idea. my guess is we are crashing out though, the opposition don't have a plan, no alternative.
It's fascinating. Mostly though, it's great such times really expose who stands for what (if anything other than themselves or political survival). I can't help but wonder what Farage is making of all this.

Can anyone realistically see the Euro car manufacturers and even food producers and their respective countries, some of whom are influential EU member states, being prepared to take a massive haircut to teach Britain a lesson? I can't help but think project fear is overplaying their hand.

Found a decent pin oak standing dead today. Have to wait to take it due to some equipment parked in the flight path. Not a huge tree but should be close to a cord.
It all adds up..I'm on the sniff all year long and you never know when one tree will turn into 100 :)

It all adds up..I'm on the sniff all year long and you never know when one tree will turn into 100 :)
It's like that where I cut - farmers get you in to do the one tree they aren't stoopid enough to try themselves and if you aren't an idjit and seem trustworthy they let you know about the "back 40" they are happy for you to get stuck into. Krafty buggers.

View attachment 756660 This outfit gets most of the bigger stuff around here. They can clear off more in 3 days than I can in 30. That yards full of logs now. About 3 miles from me.
Looks like Rivard...If so he got started in firewood then chipping. I remember his place west of 65 full of chip. We all start somewhere

EDIT...Not Rivard..Reliable. Same story, started small. I've bought log from him.

Update to the road work day, 7 men and 3 boys worked to get the 3/4 mile roadway cleared of brush. We had two trucks with dump trailers and filled approximately 18 heaped loads between the two of them.

I was the only one who was willing to man the manual pole saw so the first 1/3 of the road has the limbs over the road trimmed as high as the saw could reach with pole extended. The rest of the road is brushed down to the bottom of the ditch or approximately 4’ back where the road is level with the land and as high as chainsaws could reach.

We’ll set up another work day in the future to take the larger leaning/problem trees down as folks ran out of time and energy today after doing the brush.

Now that the big project has been tackled, we can keep the sides mowed with a riding mower and hit the ditches with a weed wacker annually to prevent things from getting overgrown again. Talking to the other long term guys on the road, we think this had only been done once in the last 20 years so it was well overdue.

Progress pic:
213A0022-6C73-4009-ADD8-2C747DE0533B.jpeg

Done!
7E85712F-A397-4D7C-9704-80F88B8C732D.jpeg

This stuff is the bomb for rehydration!
C9E8A5F3-E7F0-4AA7-8F4A-E5F6E8F52675.jpeg

Earned the cheeseburger and fries today!
9B7CBEA9-37B3-4817-BB48-C7AF70992C90.png

Looks like Rivard...If so he got started in firewood then chipping. I remember his place west of 65 full of chip. We all start somewhere

EDIT...Not Rivard..Affordable. Same story, started small. I've bought log from him.
Had no idea who it was. A friend used them and had nothing but good to say.

Friend of my dad's built that shop for his excavation business. Not sure if he retired or went belly up.

The expression “Go big or go home” seems to apply to your fires.

a) There's an element of that. There are also equal parts of:
b) There's plenty of wattle, bark, Fiskars splitting junk, and,
c) She's still a bit on the cool side for sitting outside when the sun has gone down, so pile it up!

:blob2:

Looks like fun, and some great weather for it.
Are you asking us to critique your hinge.
Did if fall where you asked it to go? I typically make my back cut just above the notch or even with it.
Landed where it was targeted for. I back cut above and set a wedge in it, trying to use holding wood and not pinch the saw. If it goes where I want, it's a win for me. Do know loggers like them flush cut, but just a firewood hack here. Thanks for your input and be safe, Brett.

Landed where it was targeted for. I back cut above and set a wedge in it, trying to use holding wood and not pinch the saw. If it goes where I want, it's a win for me. Do know loggers like them flush cut, but just a firewood hack here. Thanks for your input and be safe, Brett.
Thats half the battle :numberone:.
About 2" is typically the max I'd go, anything more makes it harder to wedge over.
Maybe others have different experience.
Have a great day :).

One reason you don't want your back cut high, is if you come in a tad too far you don't have any hinge, and when you drive a wedge in it pushes the trunk forward and it will shoot off the stump forward, and the tree will fall dead backwards. If you bring your back cut in level with your notch, you can physically see how much hinge you have, and the trunk will "hinge" over as it should. If you are just a firewood hack, you should invest $65 in a half inch X 120 foot tag line. Put it as high up as you can get it and put a little tension on it. Then it's "pulling" with the notch, not "pushing" against it. Wedges work, tag lines work better. Wedges have more fails, tag lines have less fails.

One reason you don't want your back cut high, is if you come in a tad too far you don't have any hinge, and when you drive a wedge in it pushes the trunk forward and it will shoot off the stump forward, and the tree will fall dead backwards. If you bring your back cut in level with your notch, you can physically see how much hinge you have, and the trunk will "hinge" over as it should. If you are just a firewood hack, you should invest $65 in a half inch X 120 foot tag line. Put it as high up as you can get it and put a little tension on it. Then it's "pulling" with the notch, not "pushing" against it. Wedges work, tag lines work better. Wedges have more fails, tag lines have less fails.
Excellent advice. I pull any problem tree that doesn’t have a definite lean and could cause damage if it fell the wrong way.

Latest posts

Back