First Fire of the season

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Certain shine is very good. Other stuff, not so much. To me, full strength corn whiskey smells mildly like diesel, and although I haven't tasted diesel I would imagine it tastes similar.

Contents of pipe included.....? ;)
Taste of Kerosene comes to mind. Again, imagining what it might taste like.

Low 40s, high 30s at night here. Days are still nice, though takes most of the day to warm up. Dark by 10, light around 5. Days are certainly getting short.

Harsh shine taste like rubbing alcohol.
Diesel/kerosene has a almost sweet taste but leaves a film.
Good shine is smooth and easy!
Been a mechanic for 25 yrs. I can't stand the test of brake fluid. Keep mouth wash in my service truck.
I need to clean the flue. But starting to think about getting the wood moved up to the house.

Certain shine is very good. Other stuff, not so much. To me, full strength corn whiskey smells mildly like diesel, and although I haven't tasted diesel I would imagine it tastes similar.

Well, friend number 2 said that the moonshine was 'very smooth.' It did smell a bit like kerosene.

Pipe just had tobacco - "Burley" was the name of it.

Well..

Actually it was a few weeks ago, had a cold morning so made a fire.

This morning was in the low 50s, so made a small fire in the shop. Has warmed up to 68 now, though will be cold again this evening I'm sure.
Aug 31 today.
10C out this morning (that's 50F in American speak...lol)
It was 9 out a few days back when I woke for work at 4 AM in the morning.
Soon will be frost.

As a native Texan born and raised in south east Texas, I feel just the opposite. More people die from cold exposure then heat related issues. If you love the cold so much then why do you burn wood for heat. If the cold is so great, why have a fire at all.
People raised in the south like the heat where as people raised in the north like the cold. I could make a long list of the pro's and con's of both. There is a difference in extreme cold and extreme heat, vs. more moderate temps.
You don't get stranded in hot climates and you don't have to dig your way out and deal with snow and ice or deal with things freezing up or have to have a block heater just to get your car started just to go somewhere, given you can even get out at all.
There is probably more wild life in warmer climates, and wild life migrates south for a reason. I don't like the extreme heat but I also don't like the extreme cold ether. Having to dress in layers every day is a pain in the but. It restricts movement and your constantly having to layer and then peal layers off all the time. You also dont have to keep cold weather gear in your car in case you get stranded just to survive. Besides when your cold it can be painful to your hands, fingers and feet, not to mention frost bite.
That's what all Texans say about cold...lol.
My Dad was from the Carribean and hated being cold up here in Ontario, Canada.
My moto is "cold makes us harder and tougher"
But in fact it's not pleasant for us to be too hot OR too cold.
Maybe we all need to 'migrate' to an awesome temperature place...
Somewhere like Santa Barbara...
And I will, as soon as my lottery ticket comes in...ha,ha.

I have tasted diesel before when siphoning fuel. It doesn't taste as bad as it smells, but is so oily that you can't get the taste out of your mouth. Have to eat some bread to try and absorb the residue.

Here in Tennessee there are lots of new distilleries popping up selling what they label as moonshine. But moonshine is by definition illegal so if you can buy it in a store it is not moonshine. Real moonshine is made under the cover of dark, hence the name. Everclear (95% grain alcohol) is about the closest thing in a liquor store to traditional moonshine. If you got moonshine from some redneck up the hollow and it smells like diesel, it likely contains methonal and the oily colognes not to mention that the still probably isn't food grade. I am not saying that there isn't good shine out there, but the not safe stuff is much more common. If the government would quit tax gouging and let people live there lives, you would have more reputable people doing the distilling and get a better product.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Only fire here is generated when the sun hits my skin.
469589d4a69d1733a146422ca7db2038.jpg

9/07/19 It hit 103 yesterday and is forecast to hit triple digits for the next few days. So no fire in the near future. First jacket weather doesn't come till the end of October. The first cool down doesn't come till Halloween or shortly after. Warm up is Valentines day or shortly after.

That's what all Texans say about cold...lol.
My Dad was from the Carribean and hated being cold up here in Ontario, Canada.
My moto is "cold makes us harder and tougher"
But in fact it's not pleasant for us to be too hot OR too cold.
Maybe we all need to 'migrate' to an awesome temperature place...
Somewhere like Santa Barbara...
And I will, as soon as my lottery ticket comes in...ha,ha.

Agreed. Except for moving to Santa Barbara, perhaps northern Arizona instead.

I only prefer cold over hot weather because I sweat profusely. Cold weather makes it easier to regulate my body temperature and not be constantly sopping wet with sweat. Don't get me wrong, I still can get cold, my fingers and toes can go numb, but so long as I'm moving and the blood is pumping that doesn't happen. With wood heat, I can almost always light a fire to get warm if cold. In the summer, wood does nothing to keep me cool. In the winter I can always put on an extra layer, or a coat; in the summer one can only take off so many pieces of clothing until someone calls the police...

The days are getting shorter, the nights cooler, and the days milder. A few more humid days in the forecast, but I think the dog days are behind us. More trees are starting to show their colors. The air smells more crisp at night. If the dry weather trend continues into autumn, I see many nights by the firepit with a dark malty beer in hand to sip while roasting meats. That sounds delightful!

In the winter I can always put on an extra layer, or a coat; in the summer one can only take off so many pieces of clothing until someone calls the police...
I have been saying this for years. But I add that my skin won't unzip so that I can take off a few layers of fat.

But I do have a limit to my cold tolerance. I was in Minnesota a few years ago when they were having record lows. I didn't have trouble staying warm when it was -50°F but when my truck's air dryer froze up I couldn't feel what I was working on thru all those layers. I had to find a warm garage to pour alcohol down the lines and bypass the dryer. Then when I got to Waterloo, IA the fuel tank caps were frozen solid so I couldn't fill up. I almost ran out of fuel before I got to Davenport and got the passenger side cap off to fuel up one tank. That was enough to get me halfway across Kentucky and get the other side off. So I can handle the cold, but not the problems extreme cold cause.

I did start a fire last week. I burned rotten boards from a barn I tore down along with some brush from the last few trees I cut. Tennessee doesn't require a burn permit until October so I set loose some 40' high flames in the field.

In other news this picture was taken at 5:30pm yesterday just outside of Knoxville:
5c7c659921f8d44c2173787928bcdc74.jpg

Cant wait! Dropped to low 50s last week but warms up quick still. Usually October is my first need for heat inside here. Im ready.

daytime highs of 85 and night time lows of 50... not quite low enough to start the stove... But just the right time to prep the stove, re-clean the stove pipes,yep the rack are full, but we are not quite ready for prime time. This year I am in the process of replacing the stove pipes, this time going with the double walled + insulation... the old ones are double walled but no insulation so it should keep the chimney temps even higher.

I spoke to soon a few weeks ago, the dog days have returned. Mid to upper 80's round these parts again, with some reprieve when the sun goes down if the humidity is low. Looks like we're still a few weeks away from any real taste of autumn.

20190917_183044.jpg I decided it's time to fire one up this evening. Been a wet drizzly day, house only got up to 61. And colder outside, so the house is gonna drop. Last week or so been barely getting into the 60's some days not even that. Lows in the mid 40's will probably see it dip into the 30's in the next week or so. Would have like a pot of stew or chili with the first fire of the season but had to work today. Grabbed a Papa Murphy's pizza as a sub.

wow, were in middle of heat wave here in TN, leaves are falling because of lack of rain rather than change of season it gets into 90's every day and outside burning has been banned

Back