Echo cs280E any bigger cylinders fit.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbgorecom

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Have a couple echo cs280e chainsaws. Are there any bigger Echo cylinders that fit this saw.
Great little limbing saw...(my opinion)
any help

thanks

JB:msp_confused::msp_confused:

Hate it when no one answers a question... for 6 years?

There are three small Echos that share the same chassis: the 280e/280ep, the 290evl and the 300evl. The 280 and 290 are at 27.9cc, the 300 is at 32.9cc. But the 300 piston will not go on the 280 connecting rod because of different piston pins. Need to use whole top end & bottom end of the 300. The handle setup of the 280 bolts right up with a couple of mods to the 300 crankcase.

The 300 throttle cable has to be removed and the hole through the back of the carb chamber where it used to go gets plugged. I used a short allen screw and nut, locktited. Then a hole has to be drilled though the top of the carb chamber for the 280 throttle linkage and its grommet.

I've done one of these for the fun of it and its a nice little 33cc arborist saw now.

Hate it when no one answers a question... for 6 years?

There are three small Echos that share the same chassis: the 280e/280ep, the 290evl and the 300evl. The 280 and 290 are at 27.9cc, the 300 is at 32.9cc. But the 300 piston will not go on the 280 connecting rod because of different piston pins. Need to use whole top end & bottom end of the 300. The handle setup of the 280 bolts right up with a couple of mods to the 300 crankcase.

The 300 throttle cable has to be removed and the hole through the back of the carb chamber where it used to go gets plugged. I used a short allen screw and nut, locktited. Then a hole has to be drilled though the top of the carb chamber for the 280 throttle linkage and its grommet.

I've done one of these for the fun of it and its a nice little 33cc arborist saw now.

Wow neat. 28cc to 33cc is a bigger percent increase than I can calculate. I'll bet it is a dramatic improvement. I just put a new ring and deleted the base gasket in mine and it is OK-ish, with 175 psi compression, but more displacement would be -- more displacement. Can you tell me about the piston pin differences? I guess you already ruled out boring the rod and piston or shimming the hole, yes? Many thanks for the great response. Don

I guess you already ruled out boring the rod and piston or shimming the hole

It was just easier to swap out the whole engine. I had two 300evl's, used one. The 280e I used was an early one without chainbrake. The piston pin on that one was smaller diameter than the 300evl's.

Also, the 280e's sparkplug hole is centered in the combustion chamber while the 300evl's sparkplug hole is off center and cants downward. The 280e's cover has to be modified to make space for the plug:

280e plug 001.JPG

Another benefit was that swapout got the 300evl's chainbrake.

Neat mods, good description and nice pics. Thanks. My 280e has the "unusual" two-lever chainbrake, which works ok but requires some thoughtfulness. Unfortunately, I have no 300evls lying about. Until I come across one, I will keep the chain SHARP.

Excuse me for veering off from the cylinder question but since the 280e ears are here: I was running my just rebuilt 280e to see how it goes. New ring and threebond for a gasket, new spur sprocket. It was running quite well until it wasn't so I decided to add fuel and turn the oiler down. A full fuel tank did get it going again but when I removed the front cover to reach the oil adjuster I found that the top third of the filter was saturated with fuel. I am not very experienced with reed intake but before the rebuild I did flip the reed since it was showing about a millimetre of clearance. Is that the source of all the spitback? Do I need a new reed?

My filter is wet with fuel. I just completed a rebuild with a new ring, deleted the base gasket, and new spur sprocket, and the saw now has about 175# compression. The reed had about a millimeter of clearance, so I reversed it. Was that a mistake?

Back