Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One reason you don't want your back cut high, is if you come in a tad too far you don't have any hinge, and when you drive a wedge in it pushes the trunk forward and it will shoot off the stump forward, and the tree will fall dead backwards. If you bring your back cut in level with your notch, you can physically see how much hinge you have, and the trunk will "hinge" over as it should. If you are just a firewood hack, you should invest $65 in a half inch X 120 foot tag line. Put it as high up as you can get it and put a little tension on it. Then it's "pulling" with the notch, not "pushing" against it. Wedges work, tag lines work better. Wedges have more fails, tag lines have less fails.
Agree, if worried about fall direction I have 150 ft of low stretch 1/2 rope, 30 of wire rope, couple slings for around anchor tree and a rope-along. Throw bag and line, no climbing for me. Have always back cut higher than face cut, but do see yours and Bretts point. Never had one slip off, but than could be first time for everything. All view points are appreciated.

With a little help loading from the wife and a couple of kids, I put up this cord of maple tops with a little bit of birch and oak in about three hours.

I’m on day two of drinking pedialyte in addition to water when I’m working. Makes a HUGE difference in the heat. The half quart bottles are a dollar from the dollar store.

Funny thing I noticed-shaggy bark red maple turns punky sooner than smooth bark red maple. Go figure.

4CB88B30-9DA8-4238-9BA9-F4C6998A5CCE.jpeg

Back in the spring my wife's cousin called and said he had some wood for me from a tree they took down. I went and got 2 mounding pickup loads. Ground was so wet I didn't go back and then summer got in the way.... Today I went back and I am glad I had the trailer! 2 big loads and a half load I didn't take any pics of. Some Zogger wood in there as well. Worked the pp5020 and the ms460. His dog was a hoot between fetching the ball and the wood chipper.
da9fda69ed86ecf0b1bc28016f8b8e6c.jpg
43feeeab6a7952e11cfb93b245dc4914.jpg
003b0f62ab516a9ddb873d2123a5dca4.jpg

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

Agree, if worried about fall direction I have 150 ft of low stretch 1/2 rope, 30 of wire rope, couple slings for around anchor tree and a rope-along. Throw bag and line, no climbing for me. Have always back cut higher than face cut, but do see yours and Bretts point. Never had one slip off, but than could be first time for everything. All view points are appreciated.
How's that rope-a-long work? I've always wanted to try one.

0901191644_Burst01.jpg
How's that rope-a-long work? I've always wanted to try one.
Works slick. You can run endless rope through it. Will not grip my low stretch rope, works best with 1/2 inch twisted rope. Purchased one with 25 foot of rope, easy to use and should have bought one long ago and forgot about the cable one.

Attachments

• 0901191644.jpg
    0901191644.jpg
    514.4 KB · Views: 14
Decided to go out in the woods and get this little jag of cherry I left last winter.img20190901_150418.jpg

This was blocking my "road" out back.

img20190901_145210.jpg

So sawless... I hooked the oak windfall.

img20190901_145128.jpg

Pulled it out then went back to get my jag of cherry. Then on the way out I hooked another oak windfall near the first and made it to the back yard.

img20190901_145154.jpg

Nice unexpected bonus!

Decided to go out in the woods and get this little jag of cherry I left last winter.View attachment 756784

This was blocking my "road" out back.

View attachment 756786

So sawless... I hooked the oak windfall.

View attachment 756788

Pulled it out then went back to get my jag of cherry. Then on the way out I hooked another oak windfall near the first and made it to the back yard.

View attachment 756789

Nice unexpected bonus!
Looks like a nice day.
Wish I felt better, I would have went out and worked on splitting a bit more as well as cutting up a few small sticks of elm that need to be cleaned up. I also have a 10" or so box elder I pushed over that I want to get stripped and bucked up, but the kids have been enjoying playing on it lol.
That last branch looks like locust from here.

Looks like a nice day.
Wish I felt better, I would have went out and worked on splitting a bit more as well as cutting up a few small sticks of elm that need to be cleaned up. I also have a 10" or so box elder I pushed over that I want to get stripped and bucked up, but the kids have been enjoying playing on it lol.
That last branch looks like locust from here.
Hope ya get strong quickly!

This is just some lowly oak.

img20190901_175157.jpg

Hope ya get strong quickly!

This is just some lowly oak.

View attachment 756808
Thanks, feeling better than this morning for sure.
Well oak still burns right :).
Really sticky sposed to be foggy later. Mosquitoes were still fiercely feeding on me. Won't be long though!
Never got over 68 here today, supposed to be 79 tomorrow :baba:.
Must have been the same wind event blew the top out of this cherry. Pic sux but ya can see it snapped off and landed in a box elder. Cherry was spindly but had to be a 50 footer.

View attachment 756836

No hurry to mess with this. Be quick n easy whenever. Be curious if there is much more damage.
I have a large red oak down in the woods behind the house, as well as another large branch that's stuck up high like that.
The plan is to leave them there for a long time as I have a lot of other wood, besides that red oak can dry out right where it is :D.

Went up to the cabin mid day yesterday and returned home late today (had to be at home yesterday morning). I brought up the second bench (Black Oak half round) and cut some wood.

The cabin now has furniture appropriate for a hunting cabin … Oak Table and two half round benches (one Oak, one Hickory). The table is a mix of Red + Black Oak.

Attachments

• IMG_20190831_231632904.jpg
    IMG_20190831_231632904.jpg
    5.1 MB · Views: 26
  • IMG_20190831_231616522.jpg
    IMG_20190831_231616522.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 24
Found this nice Black Cherry in the woods … sap wood rotted off but the rest of it mostly hard as a rock … almost petrified! Used the ATV and my log hauling device to get it down to the cabin, then my 044 finished the work! If dead Ash were in this shady location for this long, it would be totally punky! I also hauled out an Ash log (no pic).

This Cherry should burn great this year!

Attachments

• CherryLogs90902.jpg
    CherryLogs90902.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 24
Back in the spring my wife's cousin called and said he had some wood for me from a tree they took down. I went and got 2 mounding pickup loads. Ground was so wet I didn't go back and then summer got in the way.... Today I went back and I am glad I had the trailer! 2 big loads and a half load I didn't take any pics of. Some Zogger wood in there as well. Worked the pp5020 and the ms460. His dog was a hoot between fetching the ball and the wood chipper.
da9fda69ed86ecf0b1bc28016f8b8e6c.jpg
43feeeab6a7952e11cfb93b245dc4914.jpg
003b0f62ab516a9ddb873d2123a5dca4.jpg

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

What wood is that (apart from farwood)? Ash?

Went up to the cabin mid day yesterday and returned home late today (had to be at home yesterday morning). I brought up the second bench (Black Oak half round) and cut some wood.

The cabin now has furniture appropriate for a hunting cabin … Oak Table and two half round benches (one Oak, one Hickory). The table is a mix of Red + Black Oak.

They came up great, Mike! Perfect for the hunting cabin.

Back