Vermeer SC60tx experience?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From my experience, the SC60TX is by far the best machine Vermeer ever made, I mean mechanically. Yeah, they'd done a better job with those butterfly removable guards flap things. 60 HP diesel power directly going into the stump, no power loss on hydraulic, or belts, Or the concern of wearing and replacing them. the control is not as bad as you think. With a little practice, I can steer it pretty well. You do have to have very steady hand on the joy stick. Vermeer should've designed some thing to stabilize the control station while it's folded (I'm going to figure out a way to modify it). With the current config, the entire control station shakes as it bumps up n down to the main body of the machine, thus makes it very hard to control turns.

The most complaints for this machine is the gut, namely the computer. My opinion, that's what screwed the chance of this otherwise wonderful machine to compete with similar models from Rayco and carlton. If that's bothering you like it does to me, there is a solution now. I'm getting an after market remote control to completely bypass the computer. I'm going to wire it to the computer inputs for now. Once the computer or any little part in it breaks down, instead of buying a very expensive replacement part from Vermeer, I'll just directly wire the new remote to all the valve coils which is what the Vermeer engineer (or over-engineer!) should've done when they developed it.

From my experience, the SC60TX is by far the best machine Vermeer ever made, I mean mechanically. Yeah, they'd done a better job with those butterfly removable guards flap things. 60 HP diesel power directly going into the stump, no power loss on hydraulic, or belts, Or the concern of wearing and replacing them. the control is not as bad as you think. With a little practice, I can steer it pretty well. You do have to have very steady hand on the joy stick. Vermeer should've designed some thing to stabilize the control station while it's folded (I'm going to figure out a way to modify it). With the current config, the entire control station shakes as it bumps up n down to the main body of the machine, thus makes it very hard to control turns.

The most complaints for this machine is the gut, namely the computer. My opinion, that's what screwed the chance of this otherwise wonderful machine to compete with similar models from Rayco and carlton. If that's bothering you like it does to me, there is a solution now. I'm getting an after market remote control to completely bypass the computer. I'm going to wire it to the computer inputs for now. Once the computer or any little part in it breaks down, instead of buying a very expensive replacement part from Vermeer, I'll just directly wire the new remote to all the valve coils which is what the Vermeer engineer (or over-engineer!) should've done when they developed it.
Where can I get this remote controlle at

What model year is urs? Post pictures of the valve compartment so I can tell if u have the same configuration as mine.

Your experience with the Vermeer controller (computer) has been the same with my chipper. My background is in robotic controls, its apparent Vermeer is attempting to combine safety and machine operating features in one box.

I had looked into an aftermarket controller, BUT the safety features are disabled with that.

Since the machine is exposed to the elements, wiring connectors, switches and sensors can deteriorate. I have neighborhood rodents that seem to enjoy chewing the wiring harness.
Their service manual, especially the wiring diagrams, are OK but could be confusing for an independent shop tech.
Factory customer service refers service related questions to the local dealer. The standard line from the dealer..."bring it in."

My 60 which I bought new 18 months ago has been flawless. But myself as well thinks it’s way over complicated in the safety/wiring area. If this ever causes excessive down time due to loss of reliability, I’d be the first to begin re-engineering it. The motor, thankfully, looks to be a simple mechanicaly injected Perkins/Cat with a linear actuator. If so, the work around on that is no biggie. The valves are all non-proportional electric over hydraulic, take a volt meter, find what voltage the computer is sending to actuate, and where, and go from there. The auto- sweep would be hard to replace. Personally, I rarely need it. Sharp teeth, a little skill makes an even better auto sweep. I know this all sounds like “ big talk “ but my point is 4 days in the shop and I think it’s a done deal. Anyone want to buy a ECM? Lol

IMG_4750.JPG IMG_4591.JPG u have to call Kurt and buy his remote (transmitter n receiver) for Carlton 7015 and wire it ur self.

I am in the process of buying a SC60tx but have not signed the papers yet . I would be very interested in getting a little more details about your problems? Did you buy the machine new? Did the dealer get you fixed up quickly? Did they have any explanation as to why the problem encurred? Did they have any suggestions that may have caused the problems? Is their to much gadgetry on this machine to make it reliable? How does the machine work when it is working? How fast does it track to the stump or is it painfully slow like their 252's? Any feedback would be very much appreciated.

If anyone else owns one out there did they also have problems or have they found it to be a reliable machine.
I bought a new 2018 five months ago and I’m sad to say that I will be taking my machine back to the dealer in pensacola Florida in the morning electronics have hit the skids

I've never put a picture on the site but I will try and get you some. They work really slick.
Did you ever get your sc60tx guard mod pics posted? I have that machine and would love to see what you did with those awful stock gyards.

Back