One Saw To Rule Them All...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Freudianfloyd

Clinically Diagnosed with CAD
Reaction score
If you guys could have only one saw for everything, what would you pick? What do you consider the best all around saw of them all. I understand there are saws used for different purposes.

In other words, if you are living in a distopian future, and you are the only person left alive, and you could take only one saw with you, what would it be? Remember you will have to use this saw for felling trees, building shelters, carving, milling, maybe killing zombies, and all around survival. No you can't go to a dealership and just pick up a different saw even though nobody else is alive to stop you.

The point of this thread isn't to write some fan fiction, just using that as an example to determine what the best all around saw is.

Probably my 462

It's light enough that with a shorter bar I could run it all day and not have issues. It's big enough to mill if necessary although not the ideal saw for that.

Plenty of power for felling even the largest trees in my area.

If I could have two, I would go with a 661 and a 261.

Well, I'm more of a Stihl and Mac guy, but I'd have to admit that the best do it all saw would have to be a 372xp.

However I feel like there are a lot of Macs that'd fit the bill too. They are kinda like roaches....even after nuclear explosion they'd still fire up and cut wood.

Well, I'm more of a Stihl and Mac guy, but I'd have to admit that the best do it all saw would have to be a 372xp.

However I feel like there are a lot of Macs that'd fit the bill too. They are kinda like roaches....even after nuclear explosion they'd still fire up and cut wood.
I didn't even think about EMPs, that limits the selection too.

The question is do everything....I like the MS361, simple, great AV, not to heavy, just feels good in my hands, lighter than an MS362. Yes I could go bigger or smaller, but all around I take a MS361. For smaller the 346xp and for bigger MS461/372 non xtorq in a tie.....

A TWO saw plan would be a bit more workable, a (pick one) 346XP, 353, 550XP and a 390XP or 395XP.

The 39XP/395XP might be a bit heavier than a 372XP, but if you are going to be milling your own lumber, those are as light as I would want to go, and the 346XP/353/550XP will handle a lot of lighter stuff, limiting the need for the Heavier saw to when you REALLY NEED a BIG saw, then Have what you need, when you need it.

There are several Reasons that there are 7 Huskys in my Garage, yep I COULD by with fewer, but a ONE Saw Plan, isn't practical for more than Casual firewood cutting and yard maintenance

Doug :cheers:

Ask ridiculous questions(on a chainsaw enthusiast site of all places), get ridiculous answers:cool:.
While I agree to some extent, I don't think the question is without merit. What is the best all around saw was the main question of this thread, the apocalypse scenario was just to avoid all the responses about how they would never just have one saw.

Maybe I should rephrase the question? If law mandated that you could only own one saw, what could you get by with easiest? Obviously no one saw will do it all, but something tells me if you were in the situation where you could only have one saw, you could make it work for most jobs.

While I agree to some extent, I don't think the question is without merit. What is the best all around saw was the main question of this thread, the apocalypse scenario was just to avoid all the responses about how they would never just have one saw.

Maybe I should rephrase the question? If law mandated that you could only own one saw, what could you get by with easiest? Obviously no one saw will do it all, but something tells me if you were in the situation where you could only have one saw, you could make it work for most jobs.
Once the communists take over and enact said law all they'll let us own are their Huztl MS170s ...

One saw I would have to go with my Ms460.

It’s a little big for some things and the small for some big stuff.

I have cut cut pecker poles making trail. I use it in my Alaskan mill.
Felling
Bucking endless cords of firewood.
It’s just screams for more.

Never misses a beat.

Back