Tough decision to make on choosing a saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SuperDuty04

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Howdy guys! So I’m needing a new saw and need some assistance. I’ve litterally spent hours and hours reading this site and others trying to learn as much as I can to pick the right saw.

My saw uses: mainly just cutting wood on my land to heat my work shop. Generally that’s one fire in the evening and several on the weekend days. I may try to do a little extra cutting this year and sell some. At any rate, I don’t cut much wood at all.

I’ll start by saying that I prefer to buy quality tools that last. With that said, I have my heart set on a 261cm. That’s the saw I want but I’m worried that I’ll regret owning a 50cc saw since I’ll only have one saw. So that has me considering the Echo Cs590. I absolutely know for a fact that I won’t buy anything with a plastic clambshell design.

I’ll never be cutting large trees, maybe 20” at the most, mainly popular, locust, sassafras.

I’ve pretty much narrowed it down to these two saws, also considered the dolmar 5105. I will only buy new so used is off the table.
What do ya guys think, can they 261cm handle my needs.

A nice 50cc saw with an 18" bar will suit you well. You have narrower the field down well. More things for you to consider at this point is, dealer support, parts availability, comfort. If you have local dealers then I recommend you go handle the saws and see if you like the feel of one over the other. You can learn a lot from your dealer just by going in and chatting with them about saws and getting a feel for them. They might throw you a sales pitch but that's ok, let them. They might let you try some saws in wood and that might make all the difference when deciding. Maybe you find out you'd rather have a 60cc. ;)

I can buy the ms261cm fir $525 through my local dealer. I thought that was an outstanding price. The echo cs590 would be $360.

I may cut two 20” trees a year. The rest are probably all 16” and less.

I’ve held the 261 and it feels amazing. Haven’t held the 590 yet but I’ve used my dads echo 490 a lot.

I’ve got a really bad back so the weight is also a concern of mine.

Full chisel above is right.
Unless you've got CAD. (Chainsaw Acquisition Disorder)
Another thing to consider is that you are vulnerable right now... That is you NEED a saw. This will tend to make you hunger-driven. And, could make you over-buy.
So, get the edge off your hunger, somehow, then move forward.
Nate

The 261 sound like it suits your needs then. I’m in the same boat without the bad back and use my 261 90% of the time. I’ve used my 2260 twice since i got the 261 and did just to run it. I liked the 261 so much i traded my 201T for its little brother the 241 before they’re all gone. Love them both.

If most of your wood is less than 20" then I would go with the 261 with an 18" bar, you will enjoy the speed and lighter weight. Like stated before, go handle the saws. The Husqvarna 555 and Makita 6100 are also great if you go with 60cc.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

I especially agree with this comment. My MS261 and Husky 555 are my two favorite saws. 16" bar on the 261 and an 18" bar on the 555. Both of them are awesome saws.

I've never felt lacking in power with my 261 with an 18" bar on it in anything upwards of 30 inches...

I'm like you, buy quality once. I don't really 'need' a professional level 50cc saw for what I do....but I prefer quality tools and I'm willing to pay for them. I'm extremely happy with my purchase on the 261. Same with my 462. The power to weight ratio on both these saws is pretty amazing.

Thanks everyone for your input. So it sounds like a 261 would suit my needs just fine. I’ll of course have to MM it and who knows, maybe eventually port it as well. I’m not capable of leaving things stock. I like to tinker way too much.

I'm kinda in the same boat. Looking to retire a couple older saws (or at least give them a break) and replace with newer ones. I'd like to know out of the ones mentioned which ones are easier to work on. Such as changing fuel lines removing and reassembling carburetor, simple maintenance. I've came across some saws that were nightmares to work on (may be the operator).

Latest posts

Back