Husqvarna 51

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danthe

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I have a good old Husqvarna 51 that I purchased around 20 yrs ago. I do not have much knowledge of small engine but i would like to try to solve my problem with the forums help. Last years I had the saw tuned by the local Husqy dealers and work very well. I have only cut a few cord of wood last fall and when I took it out this spring the saw worked ok. After a few tanks of gas(new gas) it started overheating and would not start after one tank of gas. When I start the saw it idle nicely and cuts strong until 3/4 of a tank. Then it loose it idle and shut down ahd it appears to overheat.
One silly questions. During the winter I decided to use premium fuel instead of regular in all my small equipment (due to increased ethanol in regular gas) Would the saw need to be retuned to premium gas and if so how should I proceed. (To be honest most of time in the past that I tried I ended up at the dealer.)

Thanks

Danthe

• How do you get it re-started after it dies? Do you have to wait some time or does it start right up?
  • Are you cutting in hot weather? If so, could you have vapor lock?
  • Is your gas tank vent operating correctly? Have you tried opening the gas cap periodically to see if a pressure relief prevents it from dying?
  • Is your fuel line soft and old? Sometimes when lines get like that, the heat makes them collapse as fuel is being sucked out of the tank, especially if the fuel filter need changing.
  • Have you looked at the working end of the sparkplug when trying to start it immediately after it died? Is it wet or dry?
  • Do you have spark immediately after it dies? It could be a coil with a heat problem.

• How do you get it re-started after it dies? Do you have to wait some time or does it start right up?
Once it dies the only way it will start is at full throttle but it will not idle if it does get a bit of gas.
  • Are you cutting in hot weather? If so, could you have vapor lock?
28-30 Celsius...not sure what that would equate in Fahrenheit
  • Is your gas tank vent operating correctly? Have you tried opening the gas cap periodically to see if a pressure relief prevents it from dying?
I will give this a try....we are dead smack into tropical storm Arthur.
  • Is your fuel line soft and old? Sometimes when lines get like that, the heat makes them collapse as fuel is being sucked out of the tank, especially if the fuel filter need changing.
Fuel filter was changed but I will have to check the gas line.
  • Have you looked at the working end of the sparkplug when trying to start it immediately after it died? Is it wet or dry?
It is a new spark plug and it does start but only at full throttle
  • Do you have spark immediately after it dies? It could be a coil with a heat problem.
Same as above.

Another observation is when it dies at about 3/4 of a tank the motor does sound differently and I do get smoke coming form the back of the mufler.

I will try these and get back with the results.

Thanks, you responce is appreciated.

danthe

You need to check the impulse nipple grommet if it is that style. I would bet is is leaking somewhere in the region and you are running lean from air being pulled in which explains loosing tune

Thanks everyone. I got the compression tested and at best was in the low 100-108. I took the mufller off and nothing good...piston is scored pretty bad according to my neighbour.

Well today I pull the plug and bought a new Echo CS-500P. Mostly because I read good reviews and good service from the dealer for other small engine. But also very light...almost 2.5 lbs less than the 51...that is good for anyone getting older.

Did ask them to set it slighly richer than stock. Very happy with first test run. 3/4 tank of gas mostly in maple and birtch. it seems stronger than my 51...but we will wait and see the verdict 20 years down the road.

danthe

And I am keeping the 51 for a DIY rebuilt project. Top end, carb etc. When done it will the first time i will have a backup saw. Pretty lame when I look at some of your collections of saws.

On the rebuild of the 51 look into a meteor piston and cylinder kit to turn it into a 55.
Congratulations on the new cs500

You need to check the impulse nipple grommet if it is that style. I would bet is is leaking somewhere in the region and you are running lean from air being pulled in which explains loosing tune

Help in husqvarna 51
Just need some input in old 51, is this still good to buy? Owner said it’s well taken care and runs good. Just had medical issues to still use it. Thanks

Help in husqvarna 51
Just need some input in old 51, is this still good to buy? Owner said it’s well taken care and runs good. Just had medical issues to still use it. Thanks

Sounds great. How much is he asking? Can you try it in some wood before buying?

With old saws, you have to be prepared for rubber parts to fail as time goes by (fuel lines, and such). I would make sure the fuel and air filters are relatively fresh.

Roy

Back