New saw advice

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sandrock

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Question for the more experienced folks. Heat with firewood, I cut 10 to 13 cords a year. Heated house with firewood when I was a kid so I have a fair amount of experience cutting wood. Not a kid anymore, significantly older but I currently have a Stihl ms291 with an 18 inch bar. Looking for a longer bar and some more power, getting into bigger trees and while the 291 has been a great saw need something with a little more ass and a longer bar. Love my Stihl products, was looking at the 391 or the lower end of the professional series. Looking for some guidance from people that have used them. Been reading this form for a long time and learning an awful lot and I appreciate everyone's input

Been reading this form for a long time and learning an awful lot and I appreciate everyone's input

So you have probably already read this -

Help deciding between MS311, 391 &...between-MS311,-391-&-362.334723/&share_type=t

Around here, one can find good-condition 036 saws for 3 to 400 bucks. Clearly, more yank than your 291. They run very strong with a 20" 3/8" bar.

Roy

Thanks Roy. A buddy ley me run his 661, it's a bit heavy. Bought a 462 with a 25 inch bar today. Cut with it for a bit today, loving it so far.

Sorry, I am late. Should have purchased a 572xp. :D Enjoy your new saw.

He made a mistake and purchased a 462. :crazy2:Just kidding nice saw. 25Inch bar, max they will run.

Back