McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That looks like lean condition heat damage to me. Piston is a gonner. The cylinder may be salvageable (believe it, or not). That little dimple at the top of the exhaust port would need some special attention but the rest just looks like extreme aluminum transfer from the hot piston. It can usually be removed by various methods leaving a relatively clean cylinder in most cases. There may still be some grooves or scratches, but you need to get to that point before determining whether or not a new cylinder is actually necessary. Scratches can be smoothed out and grooves may or may not be a problem depending on how deep/wide they are and where they're located relative to the travel of the rings. Anything below the rings is not usually a problem and anything above would need to be assessed for how much compression may be lost.

* reposting in this thread after I placed this post in a rather old thread earlier today. Any input appreciated. Thank you guys.
~~~~~

Tapping into an old thread to try to find some help. My brake housing/case just cracked between the two bolts. It will no longer properly hold the bar in place (tightly).

I am looking for McCulloch parts folks/sources, please. Instead of solely hunting on eBay. My saw is a Pro Mac 10/10.

I only use this saw about 4 - 5 times a year, so it is more of a collector's item that I keep around. But, I do use it - especially when my Stihl 025 stalls out or misbehaves in some way. :(

(Also, as you can see from the photo, the 025 is LEAKING bar oil. Even when I am cutting, it drips on the wood that I'm cutting. Any thoughts on this?

This past weekend I tore down a nice Super Pro 81 that I got a while back. I knew the engine was toast from the lack of compression. As expected, I found the piston eaten up pretty bad on the exhaust side. I assume damage happens on the exhaust side because something enters the engine and falls to the bottom, right? Not from something entering the exhaust port? Anyway, the cylinder is scratched up a bit and won't be usable as is. It's not big gouges or anything, but I can feel it with my fingernail. If I had the cylinder re-chromed can that fill the scratches or is there another process that has to happen to fill them before chroming? I'm assuming repair is my only real option since I doubt whether a decent condition SP81 cylinder can be had for less than a couple hundred bucks? Are there any other cylinders that interchange with a SP81?

This was a real nice looking saw other than the engine damage. Hopefully I can resurrect it without too much expense.

Thanks,
Rob

IMG_20190827_171753-XL.jpg

IMG_20190827_171738-XL.jpg

Rob, it ain't no good just box it up and send it to me....HaHaHa
The cylinder could be salvaged, you just have to look for any place that might have went thru the chrome. There is a A or B or C stamped on the top of the cylinder, you must have a piston that matches that letter. If you are going to have it platted than the letter does not matter because they will hone it to the proper size. Certain pistons are getting scarce and cylinders even more so. I usually get my cylinders nicommed at U.S. Chrome in MN. They always do good work for me. I have used them for years both motorcycles and chainsaws.

By the way, nice VTX in the background,

Brian

Thanks for the tips, Pogo, Mogul, and Brian. I'll research how to clean the cylinder up and then re-evaluate the condition.

The piston has an 'A' stamped in the bottom. I didn't really look at the head. I am aware of that situation though, since it applied to the PM800 I rebuilt last year too. Thanks though.

Rob

Need pic of Mac 1000. Auction coming up Saturday and they have a fuzzy pic that looks like it says 1000 across the top of saw. Acres doesn't have a pic. Plug is on top and looks like muffler in front. Has black full wrap and what looks like an aluminium tubular knuckle guard/chain brake. Doing google search now. Thanks.

From the pics I found it looks like the saw may be Power Mac 1000. It fits my criteria for my collection of being 100CC's. Is this one I'd should wait around all day waiting for it to sell? They have several saws, a couple Homelites, an 028, couple wild thangs. Saws are usually one of the last things to sell, but my luck, if I wait , I'll get there just as the say, "SOLD, $25". Sale starts at 10:30.

That video of that P1000 is funny how I messed up calling the handle a full wrap. I’m so used to saying that about other saws I called that wrong out of habit I guess.

Thanks for the pics, that looks like the hand guard on the saw. I buy a lot of saws at auctions and they seldom have good pics. The saws usually sell for so little the auctioneers don't take time for good pics. Yes, I knew that it was a Partner, and like you said, who knows why. I figure any 100CC saw is wort $50 bucks. I guess I'll go see what it sells for, I'll let you'll know how it turns out.

Latest posts

Back