Homelite 240 UT-10630 Pull start issue (Hard pull without plug)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GPopp

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm new to the site, but have had my homelite 240 for over a year now. It comes with a 20 inch bar and is mighty old. It is a hand down from 2 generations but has had good success. I was having pull start issues a few weeks ago (messing with some small trees but ended up starting up and had good use. I had an issue with the pull cord (kept coming out so replaced it) and it was time to sharpen the chains, so I had those done.

I reinstalled the chain and now the pull cord is extremely hard to pull and is jerky. I cleaned off the air filter, cleaned off the spark plug, and checked the exhaust and some of the inner housing. I sprayed some wd-40 in the metal coil of the pullcord assembly, so that shouldn't be the issue. When I took out the spark plug and had the bar unattached it pulled just fine. but when I attached the bar and chain, it had problems pulling (very hard and jerky. I cleaned out the bar and added wd-40 and the sprocket moved just fine, no issues. I'm still having a hard hard pull even without the spark plug and the bar on.

What are some things I can check? I'm not 100% confident in small engines, but I seem to know bigger engines. Any help would be great. Thanks!

The bar and chain should be a non issue unless if your clutch is rusted or somehow engaged at all times.
If you've been trying to get the saw to start and it doesn't you might have what is called hydrolock, too much fuel in the cylinder that isn't going anywhere.
Saw pulls fine w/o the plug because there is no compression.
Check to see if you have spark, your chain when properly adjusted moves freely on the bar.
If you have no spark you'll need to start there.
Try to dry out the cylinder and attempt to start saw again.

Homelite collector in training [emoji879]

Chain is not seated in the rim.
Because the clutch should be moving freely when saw is not running that shouldn't be an issue. Even if the chain was too tight the engine should still pull over, the chain would than move very hard on the bar.

Because the clutch should be moving freely when saw is not running that shouldn't be an issue. Even if the chain was too tight the engine should still pull over, the chain would than move very hard on the bar.

Very true. The jerky feel while pulling the rope may indicate it was not replaced properly.

There have been dozens of posts with the very same problems ie hard to pull w/ plug in but moves great when I remove the plug.
Recoil works fine w/o plug so it's not a lubrication issue. FIRST THING does the saw have spark? If not it's flooding correct?
If the saw has good compression it will get harder and harder to pull it over with all the fuel build up in cylinder and no where to go.

The bar and chain should be a non issue unless if your clutch is rusted or somehow engaged at all times.
If you've been trying to get the saw to start and it doesn't you might have what is called hydrolock, too much fuel in the cylinder that isn't going anywhere.
Saw pulls fine w/o the plug because there is no compression.
Check to see if you have spark, your chain when properly adjusted moves freely on the bar.
If you have no spark you'll need to start there.
Try to dry out the cylinder and attempt to start saw again.

Thanks I'll check into those things. I probably need to replace the plug anyway, but what you're saying is to verify my spark plug is good correct or were your referencing other involvements with spark? I'm also, leaning more clutch as when I last ran it the day before even with hard pulls, the chain was slowly moving when I let go of the gas. It has typically had a shortened pull when choking it, but was working. Now it just seems all the pulls are hard stops and such. I'll look into the brake mechanism as well.

Going to check the clutch as I just unflooded it and when I went to go to start it the chain was moving when pulling the cord... pretty confident it's brake or clutch issue... I'm going to open it up and clean/inspect it. Anything you guys recommend looking for/at? Particularly @Marine-piper since you own plenty of homelites.

Still having the same issue after making one cut, the chain still continues to move after letting go of throttle. Now it may be due to the fact that the clutch is sticking with the wahser/nut that is on the outside of the cover... I am uploading 2 videos to show that it is not the pull cord starter being the issue as it runs freely with the spark plug out (Video 1 -

and the smoke that was coming from the machine after that one cut (Video 2 -

Not sure if that smoke is related to cleaning crud out and some residue being left behind or not. I feel like the drum protector of the clutch (not sure if that is it's proper name) is sticking causing the chain to move after letting go of throttle. Any help? anyone? @Marine-piper ?

Did you ever get the clutch drum/sprocket off? I honestly think the clutch is the issue, weak springs or broken.

Which one is the clutch drum. The cover with the sprocket or the underneath? If it's the underneath no I'm having issues getting it off.

Latest posts

Back