Any recommendation for most budget friendly chainsaw to run 42" bar and ripping chain?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

agurkas

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have couple Husqvarnas I use around my yard and to do some occasional chainsaw milling. Mostly white oak or pine. Recently I got two large pine trunks from my neighbor I am itching to turn into some slabs for tables I want to make for myself for fun.

Largest saw I have is 465 Rancher. It struggles with 32" bar. What should I look for used on FB or CL that could drive 42" bar that wouldn't cost me a fortune?

This one would also be fun.

https://www.amazon.com/Holzfforma-Thunder-Gasoline-Compatible-Chainsaw/dp/B07SJF6LP6?ref_=ast_sto_dp

51HvZROyFpL._SL1001_.jpg

Famertec 92cc Holzfforma Blue Thunder G660

I think that this is the same as Billy Buckin Ray's helper runs. Seems like it works okay. Great price too.

https://www.amazon.com/Famertec-Hol...+chainsaw+gas&qid=1567696050&s=gateway&sr=8-5

$340... I do see two reviews that seem legit. How in the hell it is that cheap when Husky even used 395XP can't be had for less than $900?

Also, what size chain does this run? 3/8" pitch and then whatever gauge bar I get?
42" bar would be fun on this. Recommendations? For chain I usually get Oregon ripping chains.

I wouldn't put a 32" on my 372 let alone a 465. I see they sell them with 28" bars but that's pushing it imo. I'd keep that saw at 24" or smaller. Luckily you're talking pine which should be easy but I'd look for a used Stihl 066 or 660. I've seen them go usedfor a good price. The hutzl ones I'd be worried about long term use but that's my $.02.

$340... I do see two reviews that seem legit. How in the hell it is that cheap when Husky even used 395XP can't be had for less than $900?

Also, what size chain does this run? 3/8" pitch and then whatever gauge bar I get?
42" bar would be fun on this. Recommendations? For chain I usually get Oregon ripping chains.

Sprocket is 3/8 but you can get them in .404 as well. Guage is up to you... I've built 40 of them, they handle the 42 really well with the big bore engine... Makes it 97cc, but with that size of bar you want oian auxiliaryling system.

Sprocket is 3/8 but you can get them in .404 as well. Guage is up to you... I've built 40 of them, they handle the 42 really well with the big bore engine... Makes it 97cc, but with that size of bar you want oian auxiliaryling system.
Meant to say "an auxiliary oiling system"

I follow the Huztl and farmertec Facebook page, and the owner posted a few weeks ago that they improved the oiler output on their 660's

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk

From China. For the rest about anything you want, anything an ms660 can run, I would guess... I do know that Buckin Billy Ray Smith's saw cutting employee was running one in a video, and Bill Ray handled it and seemed to like it.

In my experience with the G388 you'd be happy if you are prepared to fix issues. The Farmertech's ready made saws - for the cost it is worth it.
Then again if you like what it does you'd be soon enough looking for the real thing, and you might have wanted every penny saved when you do.

I would never have known what I do today about chainsaws if it was not for Farmertec, but the education seems to me at this point expensive though.

For how long ?
So honest answer is that I love Harbor Freight tools, because I don't care if I abuse them. I have gone through two routers, when I did probably 20+ 4' white oak rounds and couple rough wide slabs. Even a nice Makita would not have survived that many hours of non-stop use. So when a $70 router dies, you trash it. If my $290 router died, I would be really upset.

I am done with white oak slabs sawyering (got it done professionally for $$$), I have 40 slabs to work with. Now I just need to go through those huge white pine logs. Just the cost to take them to the sawyer will be more than this cheap chainsaw. So if it can survive 20 hours of use - awesome. It lasts 100 hours over 3-4 years - what a deal. With that kind of usage, I am not sure I should be investing in $900 Husqvarna. Stihl scares me, cause parts are so much more expensive than Husqvarna (at least when I looked last).

I've built 40 of them, they handle the 42 really well with the big bore engine... Makes it 97cc, but with that size of bar you want oian auxiliaryling system.
What do you mean you have built 40 of them? Don't they come already assembled?
Also, outside of Granberg oiler, any other recommendations?

You are buying from the wrong guys then for a $900 used 395 shoot if ship one to you for $700

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So honest answer is that I love Harbor Freight tools, because I don't care if I abuse them. I have gone through two routers, when I did probably 20+ 4' white oak rounds and couple rough wide slabs. Even a nice Makita would not have survived that many hours of non-stop use. So when a $70 router dies, you trash it. If my $290 router died, I would be really upset.

I am done with white oak slabs sawyering (got it done professionally for $$$), I have 40 slabs to work with. Now I just need to go through those huge white pine logs. Just the cost to take them to the sawyer will be more than this cheap chainsaw. So if it can survive 20 hours of use - awesome. It lasts 100 hours over 3-4 years - what a deal. With that kind of usage, I am not sure I should be investing in $900 Husqvarna. Stihl scares me, cause parts are so much more expensive than Husqvarna (at least when I looked last).

I see you, but I have a nice collection of Makita tools - and I doubt you'd wear them out even at a professional level (every day 8 hours) for quite some time.

I see you, but I have a nice collection of Makita tools - and I doubt you'd wear them out even at a professional level (every day 8 hours) for quite some time.
Oh I love my Makita stuff. But it is used for projects that aren't abusive to the tools. I have my cheap small Husqvarna for anything that may have any dirt on it. 465R doesn't even get put on the ground. I bought it new, it was gift to myself for Christmas... Wife was not amused.

Latest posts

Back