Reviving old Pioneer Farmsaw. parts?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff Chokreff

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Trying to bring a Pioneer Farmsaw back to life and I'm looking to find a couple of little parts and need some help sourcing. The safety trigger mechanism the torsion spring is missing any ideas on a suitable replacement? Also the lower muffler bolt is missing. It's a #10-24 2-1/2" long I thing grade 5 hex bolt. I see quantity of 1,000 on line but only need one. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you. I'll take a good look at it tonight when I get back home. Wondering about the bar. I have several stihl bars they are 3/8 pitch .050 guage, but the slots seem to be 12mm and the posts on the farmsaw seem to be 3/8. Wondering if I put a sleve bushing 3/8 id 12mm od on the posts would my stihl bars and chains work?

Looking at the saw, the black plastic cover above the sparkplug that attaches to the starter recoil cover is cracked would like to replace it if you might have one. I'm waiting on carb and fuel lines have not gotten it started yet. I've read that it's common for the coils to go bad on the farmsaw so I may need the coil.

I heard that some homelite coils will fit and are easyer to find but who knows. I have two of those and a farm saw two. All have cracked intakes :( but I am working on an aluminum version but kinda stuck for now

Cracks dont work well on intakes. I've seen aluminum flux welding rods make repairs on cast. Almost like soldering. I've not actually done it just saw the repair on you tube.

I found a rear cover. He called it a shroud, its green not black like the farmsaw but looks the same so I think paint will solve that.

I used a 10x24 bolt from a home depot for the exhaust, its not hardened but seems like it'll work. I've still not found a spring for the safety trigger. Seems like it may work without it.

Got the saw all back together, fueled it up and yes the coil is bad no spark. I read that it was a homelite magnum xl coil that interchanges. Anyone know for sure?

Parts came in today for the pioneer farmsaw project and I was very excited to put saw together. Carborator went right on. New gasket on muffler went right together. New gas lines I'd like to say went right on but I did have to work to get them on. The husky coil modification went smoothly, plenty of spark in the test pulls. Paint and new cover on back and the saw looks good. Put in my earplugs walked outside pulled The cord and nothin.

Fresh premium fuel and checked fuel in carb. Switch on. Plug has spark but no combustion when all together. Tried starter spray still no ignition. Plug sparks when pulled and set on head. Not sure what to try next...

Back