Stihl ms261c bar 18” or 20”

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dmunyon

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
does the 261c pull a “20 bar good , investing in a new Sugi bar . 18 or 20 can’t decide . Have 461 set up with a 24” to take bigger stuff .

18" max for any type of production.
I put a 20" full skip on mine for limbing and it did fine. It struggled in the cut though, even with the full skip.

I have 20 that came with 461 , got the Tsumura light 24” for some big stuff . I like the 18” on my 261 but looking into the Sugi bar for little extra dress up an weight loss if much at all that is .

Cannon and sugihara are both top shelf bars. Tsumura is right there too, and a little cheaper. Honestly, even for professional use, you're gonna see very very little difference between these bars and a Stihl RS bar. If you want to dress your saw up though, go with whatever makes you the happiest. It's your machine, pick whatever color floats your boat and pull the trigger.

View attachment 757616 Have possibly considered this also , if anyone has tried these out an your thoughts
Piltz is a con man. You can try different sprockets and bars on your own for less.

I prefer 18" on my 50cc saws, but 20" works fine too, the saw will be a bit nose heavy with the longer bar.

I have a 18" and a 20" for my 261C-M, I have been using the 20" more as of late but I haven't had it deep in anything I would consider extremely hard. If I had to pick one it would be a 18" bar/chain.

That narrow kerf bar runs 3/8 chain?

That saw looks great, how you get a black cover?
I painted it a camo pattern with a good paint an then 4 coats of flat clear coat . Have done other things an it holds up to serious abuse . I installed the piltz hotrod kit which yes I know tad over priced but got a good deal , just the drive sprocket , clutch cover an chain .

Back