The Unofficial Chainsaw Weight Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can just check here. But you have to compare apple to apples - they were both PNW models; large clutch covers, full wrap bars, full dawgs, etc. For the difference in weight and power(stock) I would go with the 046 over a PNW 372. I also noticed I had a few ounces of oil in the 044 when I went to refill it. I forgot that I was testing the oiler not long ago and left enough oil in the reservoir for it. So prolly a few ounces lighter yet. But the weight I put up is not much more than I have seen elsewhere.
I agree, that would explain it. I love my Stihl 046 Magnum as well, with the only complaint that I don't get to use it as much as I would like. I retired and got busier. Seems to be a common story.

You can just check here. But you have to compare apple to apples - they were both PNW models; large clutch covers, full wrap bars, full dawgs, etc. For the difference in weight and power(stock) I would go with the 046 over a PNW 372. I also noticed I had a few ounces of oil in the 044 when I went to refill it. I forgot that I was testing the oiler not long ago and left enough oil in the reservoir for it. So prolly a few ounces lighter yet. But the weight I put up is not much more than I have seen elsewhere.
046 vs 372, power to the 046 hands down but handling. balance. And most especially vibe control goes the the 372. The Husky oils a 36" bar nicely too.

046 vs 372, power to the 046 hands down but handling. balance. And most especially vibe control goes the the 372. The Husky oils a 36" bar nicely too.
Don't go pissing on this parade! I think you were there when I complained about manufacturers specs. Remember when you picked up my 385xp and complained about it being heavier than your 066?

Don't go pissing on this parade! I think you were there when I complained about manufacturers specs. Remember when you picked up my 385xp and complained about it being heavier than your 066?
Wes, I don't believe I was pissing on anyone's "parade". I do recap that 385 being heavier and wondering why. You explained that it had a larger fuel tank and held more fuel making it heavier. That made a ton of sense. Respectfully, I do not recall any complaining by myself however. At the time you preferred your 372 to your old 046 due to the Stihls's vibes bothering you. Also you liked the bar mounting of the Husky better. I cannot argue for or against that. I now prefer a ported 372 myself but a good 046 will do the job just as well. I have both and always grab the 372. I confess to hating a stock 372's lack of torque though. By the way I Wes I wanted to thank you for showing me some techniques that likely saved me a lot of trouble, if not my life, when I had a to do a lot of large Alder blowdown removal. And lastly, congrats on getting married, best wishes.

Ah, I was only ribbing ya. And thanks for the wishes!

I still prefer the bar mount on the Husky, but I learned to live with the Stihl. And I use a stock stripped down 10mm 044 most the time.
Vibes can be mitigated quite a bit just with the type of gloves you wear nowadays. I used to be a bigger proponent of husky, but I have actually completely gone back to Stihl for most jobs. And I wouldn't mind if I had a good 066 instead of the 281XP I have. It's just such a beast with insane compression. But it certainly gets the job done and is pretty smooth.

Speaking of blow down, I am returning to the Waterford estate I worked on later today to take care of some from the back to back storms we just had here in Ireland. Lots of absolutely huge trees down. I'll try and get some vid and pics if I am not too busy or it's not too rainy.

Stay out of trouble, bud! I miss cutting with ya! Seems like so long ago when we were cutting on the bank of the Yamhill.

Wes, I don't believe I was pissing on anyone's "parade". I do recap that 385 being heavier and wondering why. You explained that it had a larger fuel tank and held more fuel making it heavier. That made a ton of sense. Respectfully, I do not recall any complaining by myself however. At the time you preferred your 372 to your old 046 due to the Stihls's vibes bothering you. Also you liked the bar mounting of the Husky better. I cannot argue for or against that. I now prefer a ported 372 myself but a good 046 will do the job just as well. I have both and always grab the 372. I confess to hating a stock 372's lack of torque though. By the way I Wes I wanted to thank you for showing me some techniques that likely saved me a lot of trouble, if not my life, when I had a to do a lot of large Alder blowdown removal. And lastly, congrats on getting married, best wishes.

Another bump. It doesn't look like I've added this previously. This is the '5th' mount on a 281XP(same as for the rest of the series). It was meant to reinforce the chassis for running longer bars. I found on anything below a 36" bar that it wasn't needed and simply added weight and vibration. But here it is removed in all it's glory plus the outside dog at 13.5 ounces! The dog itself is 5 ounces. So over 8 ounces for the mount alone.

162586844.iz2fh7lC.77a93f9754_302039.jpg

Im not one to care about weight but if i did it would be a saw ready to cut wood.
20180502_224938.jpg

Saw is mostly full of fuel and oil things piled on it it needs to cut wood

Im not one to care about weight but if i did it would be a saw ready to cut wood.
View attachment 649916

Saw is mostly full of fuel and oil things piled on it it needs to cut wood
I can't read the scale anyway but no matter as if you go back to the first post, you will see the OP asked for dry PHO weights. It was pointed out later to other dummies who posted weights with bars and chains.

Reindeer's post even though not a power head is kind of relevant.

You should go start a thread for weights with fuel and attachments. Just sayin

I think it was Mike on AS that took this pic of a half wrap 044:

169041359.9iSHIE8o.jpg

Brads MS462 on a scale:

168465094.uYueVZeU.jpg

Andres pic of standard 572xp without all the PNW stuff:

169041360.cdAzMVxK.jpg

Echo CS390 with the cat still in the muffler. The Cat is roughly 5 ounces:

168407014.rXI5bZGU.jpg

And the ONLY MS261 I have ever seen on a scale. Does anyone have the most recent, supposedly lighter weight version they want to weigh?

169062813.mnXcSXj4.s2612weight.jpg

I think it was Mike on AS that took this pic of a half wrap 044:

169041359.9iSHIE8o.jpg

Brads MS462 on a scale:

168465094.uYueVZeU.jpg

Andres pic of standard 572xp without all the PNW stuff:

169041360.cdAzMVxK.jpg

Echo CS390 with the cat still in the muffler. The Cat is roughly 5 ounces:

168407014.rXI5bZGU.jpg

And the ONLY MS261 I have ever seen on a scale. Does anyone have the most recent, supposedly lighter weight version they want to weigh?

169062813.mnXcSXj4.s2612weight.jpg
I am fairly sure you already have the newer lighter version of the MS-261 and yours is weighing in right around where it is now fairly represented by the company. Some of the older MS-261 chainsaws were significantly heavier than their advertised weight. Don't hold me to this, but I seem to remember that the old advertised weight at the powerhead was 11.6 pounds and the unit I weighed was just close to 11.9 pounds - powerhead only of course. That was a primary reason why I gave it a pass at the time and purchased a used Stihl 026 which is still going strong.

Great thread.
But I wish you blokes would join the rest of the world and start using the metric system. Saves me having to use Google to convert every time lol

Sent from my SM-A505YN using Tapatalk

Great thread.
But I wish you blokes would join the rest of the world and start using the metric system. Saves me having to use Google to convert every time lol

Sent from my SM-A505YN using Tapatalk
Whats a bloke? Whats a metric? Put another shrimp on the bar-bee mate!

Latest posts

Back