Wood splitting strategy

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Natster

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Depending if the wood of course. A few well placed whacks of a splitting maul or fiskers is way faster then noodling. I blew through a couple logs of 24” diameter red oak in the time my buddy had noodled two rounds.

It seems like a possible solution, along with a little hand truck. Lots of the wood we use is hard to split. A 35" water oak is too much to move around, or split with a maul.
Nate

Try wedges and a sledge.
Never thought those super splits were some thing I would be wanting.
To &^&&& tall for splitting wood that would need a splitter to split.

Better to get a splitter with a log lift and lower to work with.

:D Al

Ha!!!
The guys that have never tried one often seem to say something like that.
Come try mine Al, then tell us what you think.

I'd much rather stand straight up than spend the day hunched over a splitter two foot off the ground.

Mines not even 2 foot off the ground more like 12 to 18 inches to the beam. Makes easy to roll blocks off the trailer on to the beam to split.

Stnding straight up would be great if you didn't break your back lifting those blocks up to the bed to be split.
Is called 6 of one half dozen of the other ordeal.
enhance

Alleyyooper, nice pile of wood in the photo.

I ordered another 20 cord of logs last week. The office girl said three months out. After a Wow! moment, I said put me down for two loads. I'm actually considering more due to road frost load limits in the spring.
Last winter started out cold, but no snow till January. Then it stayed cold along time. Folks are purchasing larger orders of split/seasoned wood as well.
(20 cord, or 20 cords? 20 is plural, so is cords a redundant double plural?)

Alleyyooper, nice pile of wood in the photo.

I ordered another 20 cord of logs last week. The office girl said three months out. After a Wow! moment, I said put me down for two loads. I'm actually considering more due to road frost load limits in the spring.
Last winter started out cold, but no snow till January. Then it stayed cold along time. Folks are purchasing larger orders of split/seasoned wood as well.
(20 cord, or 20 cords? 20 is plural, so is cords a redundant double plural?)

Im seeing a decent bump in orders for full cord as opposed to the face cords the recreational burners buy. Seems they are stocking up. Bring it... :)

Latest posts

Back