Homelite Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got this C71 put together tonight thanks to a C52 donating some needed bits. The carb was shockingly clean and the diaphragms in very good condition, I cleaned it good and set the metering lever height and away she went. Runs quite well too, test cuts will have to wait till tomorrow afternoon.
b93c3f946ac670d23acaee6e622c6951.jpg
4639b0204f5ed3d9f617e0a1f575f225.jpg
cf0752f9036e2364ce656fec68b994f9.jpg

I got this C71 put together tonight thanks to a C52 donating some needed bits. The carb was shockingly clean and the diaphragms in very good condition, I cleaned it good and set the metering lever height and away she went. Runs quite well too, test cuts will have to wait till tomorrow afternoon.

That wasn't the one listed on craigslist without the starter was it? Advertising wrap cord and start!

Well, got one out of 4 saws I wanted to buy at auction. The Mac 1000 went for $125. A mint Super 2 in case went for $15. I was going to get it but an old guy I'd been talking to wanted it. A little Mini Mac6 I wanted slipped by. But, I got a really nice Super XL Automatic that had just been tuned, sharpened, and carb over hauled for $15. Manual oiler is pumping great. I don't usually put a new saw on stump duty, but I had 4 Oak stumps in the back yard, so I gave it a try out. It has the big can muffler I'm used to seeing on my XL12's.20190907_150241.jpg 20190907_150252.jpg 20190907_150542.jpg

Well, I'm one of the ones why you don't find dogs on them. The first thing we did was take them off. Our saws were always sharp enough that you didn't need to pull on them, and we liked the extra fraction of an inch. When Dad moved from his house where he ran the business, he had a gallon can full of them. I threw them on the scrap metal pile. Now I leave them on saws when I buy them, but, I don't go out of my way to look for them. This 12 ran well cutting. But, when I first got it home, it started up easy, revved good, then went right back down to idle. After making 4-5 20" cuts it's not going right back down to Idle, wants to keep racing. I'll go over it and check the carb settings and check for air leaks. Don't want to toast it. It looks to be a nice one.

Bet that dawg came in handy stumpin' tho, didn't it.

And I just recently rebuilt an SXLAO with the same symptom. Was the 58308 seal. If that's what you happen to need for yours, don't even waste your time looking for an aftermarket replacement. A suitable one has yet to be identified regardless of what you may read otherwise. Bite the bullet and get the 58308 and be done with it.

(Now watch someone pop in with, "I use xyz seal in place of the 58308 all the time with no problems".)

And I just recently rebuilt an SXLAO with the same symptom. Was the 58308 seal. If that's what you happen to need for yours, don't even waste your time looking for an aftermarket replacement. A suitable one has yet to be identified regardless of what you may read otherwise. Bite the bullet and get the 58308 and be done with it.

(Now watch someone pop in with, "I use xyz seal in place of the 58308 all the time with no problems".)
Is that the crank seal for both sides?

Well, got one out of 4 saws I wanted to buy at auction. The Mac 1000 went for $125. A mint Super 2 in case went for $15. I was going to get it but an old guy I'd been talking to wanted it. A little Mini Mac6 I wanted slipped by. But, I got a really nice Super XL Automatic that had just been tuned, sharpened, and carb over hauled for $15. Manual oiler is pumping great. I don't usually put a new saw on stump duty, but I had 4 Oak stumps in the back yard, so I gave it a try out. It has the big can muffler I'm used to seeing on my XL12's.View attachment 758060 View attachment 758061 View attachment 758062
She's a beaut!

Yeah, I hate to admit it, but it did. Ran the throttle with my right hand, pulling with the right too, and just rested the left on top of the stump so I didn't have to lay on the ground. Since I got my knees replaced I can't kneel on them anymore. My left one won't bend far enough. I either have to bend at the waist or lay down!LOL!

Wow, that is a nice one. I really don't collect XL12's, but when they are this clean for $15, I just can't let them go. My actual criteria for my collection is 70CC's or bigger and 24" bar and bigger. Last year I got an itch for a Super EZ, bought 2, a Blue and White EZ and a Red Super EZ. Then I couldn't stop and have bought about 10 Super 2's and 150's. Three of four years ago SVK came buy on his way to Florida and I think I gave him 4 XL12's and 2-3 others, I was in the middle of a purge. I got down to 12 saws, now I'm over 40 again. Last year I stopped at an old Stihl dealer and asked if he had any old Homelites. He took me in a back room and had a wall half full of Red and Blue, $10 each. I took an XL925, 450, and the Blue and White EZ. Then he dug up a Super 1050 for $40. Next time I go by I think I'm going to ask him to throw every thing Homelite he can find in a barrel and set a price on it. Or, maybe I'll just keep stopping and pick out 4-5 at $10 each.

Safe to say I added another good runner to the ranks. Ran almost a full tank through it on the wood pile today. Took a little tweaking here and there but overall pretty good.
f481137d41c8d542e63fcb78543647c5.jpg

Wow, that is a nice one. I really don't collect XL12's, but when they are this clean for $15, I just can't let them go. My actual criteria for my collection is 70CC's or bigger and 24" bar and bigger. Last year I got an itch for a Super EZ, bought 2, a Blue and White EZ and a Red Super EZ. Then I couldn't stop and have bought about 10 Super 2's and 150's. Three of four years ago SVK came buy on his way to Florida and I think I gave him 4 XL12's and 2-3 others, I was in the middle of a purge. I got down to 12 saws, now I'm over 40 again. Last year I stopped at an old Stihl dealer and asked if he had any old Homelites. He took me in a back room and had a wall half full of Red and Blue, $10 each. I took an XL925, 450, and the Blue and White EZ. Then he dug up a Super 1050 for $40. Next time I go by I think I'm going to ask him to throw every thing Homelite he can find in a barrel and set a price on it. Or, maybe I'll just keep stopping and pick out 4-5 at $10 each.
Honestly I can't blame you, I absolutely love the super ez automatic my brother inlaw gave me, if any other small saw in its class ran half as good I've never used it , the ms200t comes close.

Latest posts

Back