what would you call a "tune up"

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Patrick62

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I have a few customers coming in with their saws "tune it up"
Now, just what is the problem? I think this term is really from ages ago when you used to drop old Betsy off at hanks garage for a "tune up". Plugs, points, cap, rotor, and a bunch of TLC.

What does that have to do with a relatively modern chainsaw? So the thing is not running correctly (if at all) and they expect a "tune up" to correct it. I can't wait until a saw comes in for a tuneup and we find major damage, piston or seals, or both. Would the carburetor diaphragms be considered a "tune up" ? with today's crappy fuel it is likely that a LOT of the running problems are found in the carburetor!

crazy would be to set a base price on a "tune up", a big sign that says Tune up! $29.95

It seems that we are looking for a miracle, the always fires sparkplug, and a hundred pounds of compression in a can, will a "tune up" get it running sweet again?

I think this is mostly people who just don’t understand engines. If the engine is running crappy they just assume you can get in there and do a few little things and tada! It’s fixed. Most of the time that’s not the case
I would consider a tuneup to be new filters all around, new spark plug, greasing anywhere that needs it, checking and tightening any loose hardware, and a carb rebuild including new fuel lines. Now that won’t work miracles but it will be a good step toward keeping a saw in working condition for longer. I would take the time to explain that to a customer. I’d personally prefer to have more maintenance jobs (which wouldn’t charge as much) than a smaller amount of costly jobs (like a complete rebuild)

A Tune up consists of; spark plug, air filter , fuel filter , blow the saw off , oil the clutch bearing, check fuel line and other rubber parts manifold etc. Fill tank with fresh fuel , top off oil tank. Make sure it is oiling as it should. Sharpen chain or replace, check bar for wear, replace if needed. Check anti vibe system. Replace any lost fasteners . You will loose money at 29.95

I had posted a similar question on another site and got anywhere from $75-$125 with varying services included.
I usually do a $50 diagnostic that will go towards any and all further work.
I take both sides off and pressure wash them so I have a clean work area(just my thing) and will blow out the carb area for same reason.
Spark plug, fuel lines, fuel filter always.
Pressure test for leaks.
Carb rebuild w/ OEM not aftermarket( again my thing)
Tune and adjust saw.
Clean out bar and remove any sharp edges.
Gas and bar oil.
I will if asked grind the chain but most are too far gone so they opt for new ones.

For a grand total of $125

Parts and 2 hrs labor.

Homelite collector in training [emoji879]

Ha, I run into that where I work part -time on the two stroke stuff. The repair tag just says" tune up" and that is it no other history. I say to myself ok what does that mean knowing good and well it means trouble from the get go. Another good one is " put back together "along with a box of parts.

Your right a " tune up " in most peoples minds will make it run like new again . Never mind the fact they ran straight gas that looks like moonshine through it . No worries a tune up will fix it .

A tune up to me would be new air filter , plug, and fuel filter and tweaking the carb , a little cleaning and checking misc. things like fuel lines . This would be more basic service stuff not a tune up. If it is a chainsaw new clutch sprocket and new bar and chain if it was needed.

I always get a kick out of the roached engines with a brand new plug in them . It is like someone put in a new plug in the" hopes of "making it run like new.

Just wait til someone comes in and asked ( Can you plug the machine to it and fix it). Use to hear that at the dealership back in the days. Some folks thinks a tuneup is a cure all. A tuneup ain't gonna fix a low compression problem. I like to know if and what problem you're having to know which way to go.

Steve Sidwell

I had posted a similar question on another site and got anywhere from $75-$125 with varying services included.
I usually do a $50 diagnostic that will go towards any and all further work.
I take both sides off and pressure wash them so I have a clean work area(just my thing) and will blow out the carb area for same reason.
Spark plug, fuel lines, fuel filter always.
Pressure test for leaks.
Carb rebuild w/ OEM not aftermarket( again my thing)
Tune and adjust saw.
Clean out bar and remove any sharp edges.
Gas and bar oil.
I will if asked grind the chain but most are too far gone so they opt for new ones.

For a grand total of $125

Parts and 2 hrs labor.

Oh no not the pressure washer.

Absolutely the pressure washer, I can regulate the pressure so as not to damage anything. I apply simple green first to loosen the yrs of gunk and a few squirts of warm water and she's all clean.

P.S.
Works great on removing junk from between the fins.

I think it’s just the idea to “please do any maintenance it needs” because they aren’t doing any maintenance. Also look for any items that wear and replace or recommend replacing.

I’d recommend cleaning the saw well at minimum. Then go through the following:
1) clean out bar rails of wood pulp so it oils well
2) file any burr on bar rails, and check for uneven wear
3) touch up chain sharpness at minimum, grind teeth/gullet if necessary, or new chain
4) change rim sprocket if it’s time, or recommend a new spur sprocket if necessary
5) check clutch shoes for wear, replace clutch shoes/clutch spring/drum if necessary. Oil needle bearing.
6) clean and/or replace air filter
7) check and/or replace spark plug
8) check and/or replace fuel filter
9) clean out fuel tank of large wood chips
10) inspect chain catcher and/or replace if necessary from excessive wear
11) depending on how they feel, if the fuel line is getting tough, change the fuel line. If the purge bubble is getting tough, replace the purge bubble.
12) last would be a carb kit of fresh new gaskets, but should really happen at the beginning of the season, not half way through it if the saw is running fine.

This is all assuming the saw mostly runs, or runs but poorly. You could add a compression check into the basic tuneup and recommend a new ring if compression drops to 120psi.

If the saw doesn’t run at all, all bets are off for a tune up fixing it. Then you should be quoting to diagnose the problem.

Excellent replies, thanks a bunch.
I am going to create some sort of a page of guidelines, and what I will "do" if asked for a "tune up"
And, yea, it needs to be based upon what is the saw doing? What are the problems? Hasn't run since the Nixon administration?? Sure, a new plug will fix it!

I guess if I was asked to tune up a saw by a cust. I would say....whats up hows it run or how did it run....Usually folks come to me with stuff that won't run or just stopped.... but I would say a tune up would start clean next the compression gauge and if its low or ya suspect a problem get with the cust. for a longer chat!...I think what was mentioned for 125 is kind of giving it away...

good luck

Blow off the dirt, adjust the jets 1/32 of a turn tighten the chain and TADA!

That will be 60.00 please.

Tune up

Lol

Back