First big boy saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

262 husky

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Late 80s when I was big enough to pull a rope my dad had me helping a friend of his cut firewood after school and on weekends, started with a super 25 poulan, and used that while the old guy ran my dad's 4200 countervibe. Once I got old enough to feel grown up around 16 or so I bought a poulan pro with a 20 in bar and thought I had something special. A few years later my dad took me to Husqvarna store nearby and let me pick out my birthday present, I think it was 94 or 95, saw the 262xp Husqvarna and the rpm,hp and chain speed and knew it had to be mine. Went to the woods with the same old guy and he had a Stihl 044, he hated Husqvarna and was non-stop talking trash and as a teenager still of course I gave it right back. We both disliked the others saw, yet little did I know then we both had two of the greats, my Husqvarna is still with me and I still use it every winter cutting wood, plus during the occasional storm. The old man just passed away and now I'm going to buy the stihls so we can still cut together. I bought a 372xp in 2002 but I only use it as back up to the 262, had no clue how popular these would be, I have never let anyone else touch it, and have no plans of ever letting it go. Oddly enough after my dad passed away I finally got possession of the 4200 and still use that as well, but I like the husky better, just wondering what other people started with.

I was a late bloomer in regards to saws. When I was 24 which was 2009 I got a side job I did on the weekends outside of my main job which was cutting and splitting firewood for a guy my Dad knew. He had a bunch of oaks that went down in a storm that he wanted processed so I would go buck it up, split it up and stack it. I used my Dad's Mcculloch Pro Mac 610 for that. At that point I didn't know much about saws. After that job was all done which took quite a number of weekends I didn't cut any wood for 4 years which was 2013, I had gotten married by that point and my wife and I moved into a house with a fireplace, I installed a wood stove. Still didn't know much about saws, I would take my Dad's Pro Mac 610 out and cut wood. In the fall of 2014 I bought my first actual saw which was a Husqvarna 450. Ran that a few years, somewhere in there I really started liking saws and getting I guess a passion for running them, etc.

Had some pretty big oaks go down so in the fall of 2017 I bought my second saw which actually was my first real saw(no offense to the 450)which was a Husqvarna 390XP. Since then I have gotten more and more into saws and have started buying saws that suit my fancy. I have also learned a lot more such as tuning, chain sharpening,etc. Wife says im obsessed. Better to be obsessed about chainsaws than drugs.

Thats my story, recapping that gets me excited as the fall is rolling around and I am about to entire prime firewood season. I go out and cut some cookies here and there in the summer to get my fix of running a saw but I leave the firewood to the cold months. Saws only get a real workout in summer if a tree goes down somewhere around the property that has to be delt with.

I grew up cutting firewood with my dads Counter Vibe 3400, Husky 350 and an old Homelite Super EZ. The Poulan 3400 was sold at auction this Summer and my brother has the Super EZ. I probably could have brought the 3400 home, but my wife is getting wise to my CAD. My dad still has the Husky 350 along with a 455 Rancher and a 51 for firewood duties. I'll be helping cut wood in next week or two and plan on seeing how my MS261 stacks up against my dads saws. Might even bring my Husky 555.

I started out running a Husqvarna 55 on the farm. We had an 046 and an 048 on the farm too at the time.

When I started cutting professionally I was running 372XPs or MS 440s depending on where I was and when I went out on my own I was using 372XP and 395XPs.

Three different starts, very different saws. Three very different places in life.

When I first started it was landing use running a 372 with a 28, once I got to break in cutting I started with a 385 running a 42 then graduated to a hopped 372 running a 32.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First started cutting as a kid; around '87-88. Dad would let me use a Mini Mac 110 while he used a Pro Mac 10-10. I graduated to the Pro Mac 10-10 and was unimpressed. Mom and I bought him a Stihl MS250 for Father's Day later. He hated it as it was hard to start and wouldn't run when hot. He gave it to me and I still use it with little to no problems. Since then, I've purchased a Stihl 362CM and a Echo 501P. As I get older, I like running lighter saws even if the cut takes a little longer. My father-in-law offered up a Stihl MS290 for years. It's a great starting and reliable saw; It's just underwhelming in the cut. I feel the MS250 with a 16" bar will run with (or better) the 290" with a 20" bar.

My first experience with saws was in 1984 I was 14. My first saw was of all things a pioneer p61, yes it was too big , but I was pretty strong for a 14 year old so I set about cutting up a log truck load of lodgepole for a neighbor. My father had given me the pioneer and I told him that the 32 inch bar was too much. He just laughed! I never really enjoyed woodcutting as a teenager but looking back it was quality time spent with my father. I didn't do much cutting in my twenties but the fever caught me in my mid thirties I bought a 272 Husqvarna and was hooked. I currently have a 372xp a Stihl 362 and my favorite saw a 266 see that's in very nice condition for its age.

I was a late bloomer in regards to saws. When I was 24 which was 2009 I got a side job I did on the weekends outside of my main job which was cutting and splitting firewood for a guy my Dad knew. He had a bunch of oaks that went down in a storm that he wanted processed so I would go buck it up, split it up and stack it. I used my Dad's Mcculloch Pro Mac 610 for that. At that point I didn't know much about saws. After that job was all done which took quite a number of weekends I didn't cut any wood for 4 years which was 2013, I had gotten married by that point and my wife and I moved into a house with a fireplace, I installed a wood stove. Still didn't know much about saws, I would take my Dad's Pro Mac 610 out and cut wood. In the fall of 2014 I bought my first actual saw which was a Husqvarna 450. Ran that a few years, somewhere in there I really started liking saws and getting I guess a passion for running them, etc.

Had some pretty big oaks go down so in the fall of 2017 I bought my second saw which actually was my first real saw(no offense to the 450)which was a Husqvarna 390XP. Since then I have gotten more and more into saws and have started buying saws that suit my fancy. I have also learned a lot more such as tuning, chain sharpening,etc. Wife says im obsessed. Better to be obsessed about chainsaws than drugs.

Thats my story, recapping that gets me excited as the fall is rolling around and I am about to entire prime firewood season. I go out and cut some cookies here and there in the summer to get my fix of running a saw but I leave the firewood to the cold months. Saws only get a real workout in summer if a tree goes down somewhere around the property that has to be delt with.
YEP!!! another cad addict!!!!!!!!

Started with an old Homelite XL-12 my father in law gave me.
Somebody on the crew had found it in the woods near the logging camp he was working at.
Cut wood with that until I bought a well used Shindaiwa 500.
Been running Shindaiwa ever since and now have quite a collection of them.

Pic of my grandson running his first saw, a 577 I gave him. He’s always willing to help me out.
4ec5829ab42932be00d1493826e7eeb3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back