Ms261 Chain filing feedback w pic of chips

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is an RS chain. Maybe i didnt go back far enough remove all of the damage.

I think the top edge is sharp, atleast the point is.

This chain was new from the factory before I wrecked it so this was the first sharpening job on it.

Attachments

• 20190908_090929.jpg
    20190908_090929.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 38
  • 20190908_091021.jpg
    20190908_091021.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 40
Here is a pic from online of what it should look like.
It should have looked like this new too.
See what I mean about the crescent?
The "hook"? The sharp edge at the top cutter. The file show mate with this profile, and then just remove the damaged cutter to sharpen.
rs.jpg

This is kinda what to aim for, I learned that way. I just used a new chain as a guide. Ask a dealer if he can give you a few chain scraps with a cutter on them, he likely has them laying around his chain making station.

Here is a pic from online of what it should look like.
It should have looked like this new too.
See what I mean about the crescent?
The "hook"? The sharp edge at the top cutter. The file show mate with this profile, and then just remove the damaged cutter to sharpen.
View attachment 758207

Yup. my cutters dont have that at all. Next time sharpen it, ill cut it further back.

I don't know where making sure all the teeth are the same length came from, but that's one hell of a way to file off a bunch of chain life. As long as you set the raker proper for each tooth, it will cut just fine.

It took me a couple of years to rid myself of that myth. You gots to be careful who you tell this to. Some people get all religious about chainsaws and chain sharpening.

Back