Cleaning up river washed trees and logs. And what size chain to stock up on ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigric954rr

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
bunch of river washed up trees and logs covered in sand and dirt all pushed into the bark need to cut up a bunch of them thinking about buying a few extra chains for my still 461 and my husky rancher looking for thoughts ?

Thinking 3/8 .50 chain and buy a few new bars . Any reason to switch to a thicker driver lugs and bars ?

Also thinking of buying a chain grinder and wheels it there any reason to go with a 400-500 dollar one vs a cheap one ?

Lol yea I figured I’d knock off the bark where I can and Just go about burning up chains. I going to try and talk the wife into letting me get a ms661 to try and power thought some of the big ones

Lol yea I figured I’d knock off the bark where I can and Just go about burning up chains. I going to try and talk the wife into letting me get a ms661 to try and power thought some of the big ones

You’ll just cook the 661. If you have any method of moving logs around I’d very highly recommend getting them up on some decent ground and cleaning them up if you’re worried about your chains.

Sharpen often, don’t forget the rakers. You’ll still eat the chain up but the saw will thank you later.

Most of the logs are trash. Only three or four them will be turned into firewoodthe rest just need to be cleared wish I could drive a excavator there and you could remove them all

bunch of river washed up trees and logs covered in sand and dirt all pushed into the bark need to cut up a bunch of them thinking about buying a few extra chains for my still 461 and my husky rancher looking for thoughts ?

Thinking 3/8 .50 chain and buy a few new bars . Any reason to switch to a thicker driver lugs and bars ?

Also thinking of buying a chain grinder and wheels it there any reason to go with a 400-500 dollar one vs a cheap one ?
Check out Maverick Mower Supply for a Super Jolly if you are looking at grinders.

Carbide chain is meant for this work

Having used some recently, a 20" bar on a 461 should do fine, I wouldn't recommend anything much bigger cause the carbide chain is fairly blunt to begin with and takes some pretty serious power to turn it with any real success. Though I've heard that 28" chains do fine on the 461, the stuff is hard on saws.

What I was using was an ms 171 and a 16" bar to limb up sand covered timber (logging on an ocean front beach... LAME) not enough saw and not nearly enough bar... but it beat the Hel out of burning through 8 or 9 chains in 6 hours, one carbide chain could likely of lasted the 4 days I was out there, we had 3 I only used 2, and they are just as sharp as when they where new, just very dirty...

be sure to monitor your saws health while running em though, it will get hot so having the carb tuned right is critical and perhaps let it idle a bit between cuts to cool off some.

Nice I was hoping to hear that. I brought one Stihl carbide chain to give it a shot on the 461 and hope it works trying to find the money to buy a 661 to really spin the chain .

Yea figure worst is it smokes the sprocket and I replace it with another Stihl one I really like the the light weight bars but trying not to kill them

Not looking at sharpeners trying figure out Oregon 511 ax vs 620-120

Latest posts

Back