Homelite Super XL925 Boiling Fuel

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CFPerformance86

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
So i picked up a super xl925 last year online. The rod bolts came out and needle bearings locked the motor up. I replaced the piston and needle bearings. I saved the cylinder head with a hone. I had some other projects and didnt have time to finish. Fast foward a few months and I got it running the other day after replacing the intank fuel line and rebuilding the carburetor. So the saw was running great. Set the high needle with a tach to 10000rpm as the spec i see. I was doing some test cutting today and everything feels good, cuts awesome. I was finishing my test cuts and then the rpm started to drop as it was idling. I moved the saw and it stalled. I could not get it restarted. So i figured maybe out of fuel since i didnt have it full. I start to undo the cap and the pressure was crazy. It took a bit to finally let all the pressure out. The fuel was bubbling from the bottom of the tank. The saw did not feel super hot to the touch. Any ideas?20190907_164109.jpg

Cant help much with the 925, but the little ones all have a duckbill-type check valve to let air INTO the tank. If its hot outside and you are using E10 or any ethanol blend fuel for the mix, it could be getting hot enough to vapor lock. Ethanol blended fuel has a much lower vapor point than non ethanol fuel.
Dont know what part of the world youre from, but its been upper 90s here since, well, forever it seems.

So i picked up a super xl925 last year online. The rod bolts came out and needle bearings locked the motor up. I replaced the piston and needle bearings. I saved the cylinder head with a hone. I had some other projects and didnt have time to finish. Fast foward a few months and I got it running the other day after replacing the intank fuel line and rebuilding the carburetor. So the saw was running great. Set the high needle with a tach to 10000rpm as the spec i see. I was doing some test cutting today and everything feels good, cuts awesome. I was finishing my test cuts and then the rpm started to drop as it was idling. I moved the saw and it stalled. I could not get it restarted. So i figured maybe out of fuel since i didnt have it full. I start to undo the cap and the pressure was crazy. It took a bit to finally let all the pressure out. The fuel was bubbling from the bottom of the tank. The saw did not feel super hot to the touch. Any ideas?View attachment 758282

Ya
we had a few 922s and it was common for them on a hot day to boil the fuel. Just open cap slow lol. The Husqvarna 288xp was quite an improvement 1988 [emoji16]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

they will boil fuel, but you are probably too lean, tune by ear, it should four stroke at WOT unloaded, leave the tach for the plastic saws.
Everything i saw online said dony rev over 10k rpm. Its more of an addition to my fleet vs a saw im gonna use. Ill ck out the breather.

Latest posts

Back