Tricks for starting large old chainsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Many McCullochs like the 660 and the Super 250 had a +5 advance flywheel, guaranteed to rip the pull handle through your fingers at least once a day.
If I bought a Mac without a +5, I put one on, that extra 500 to a 1000 rpm came in handy with those long cuts.
20 minute bucking cuts were fairly common.

Let someone younger do it? When I was younger I’d snap that pull cord on my 2100 like I meant it. It took me a while after watching my dealer start them. After cutting for decades my grip became so strong I could snatch the life out of someone, kidding.
But old age sneaks up on us very fast. Our health starts to go down hill faster than we think.

snowblower D handle helps the fingers a lot. four instead of two.
and a short piece of one by four wood that goes through the opening in the rear handle and then I stand on that piece of one by four. If the handle isn’t big enough to stick my foot through.

I’m starting to have problems starting saws.

I haggled a husky 575 in a pawn shop down to $175. The pawn guy said he used it this past weekend. After pulling the spark plug and turning the saw upside down to get the gas out of the flooded crankcase she fired right up. He lied but I just about started it.

Latest posts

Back