Tree service expert?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mustang71

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I was just scrolling through Facebook and saw some guy in my area giving free estimates for tree service. So being curious I checked out the pictures and I came across this one and thought to myself I'm no pro but something looks wrong. I was pretty sure that cutting the back cut at a angle like that was not correct. I know on the 10 dollar wedge I bought a while ago it gave cutting instructions and no where did it say to cut down at an angle and drive a wedge into it. Not that I'd hire this guy but had he left this pic out I might have had a different opinion. Thoughts?

Screenshot_20190909-130912_Facebook.jpg

I've had it all go wrong from the angle cut. If you aren't cutting with the lean then it will tip back on the bar and you cant use a wedge. Scary that hes making money doing a job that requires a lot of skill and knowledge. O well that's what insurance is for right...

Yes. They cherry pick the easy jobs and leave the rest for the reputable cutters.
My brother in law who is a cheap skate hired a guy to remove a 60 ft. Maple.
The guy had an old telephone company bucket truck. He got the cab too close to the tree and a large limb took out the hood and fender.

I've seen that as well. I guess they think it will prevent the tree from binding the bar. I don't believe there is any benefit.

I saw the results of using that on a back leaner towards the power line. I had passed on that locust because of the lean. Nice wedge, leaning back cut and, I heard later, soem $20,000 damage to the power line (pole plus wires, etc.). I vaguely recall hearing that type cut referred to by some derogatory name, can't recall what it was now.

Any reason to use one over the other? I always use the conventional and from my experiance making an accurate back cut stops the tree from spinning and going where you don't want it to as well as putting the front cut in a good spot.
I Was just wondering what people thought was used in the pic...it doesn’t look like there’s anything but a straight cut on the front of the stump and the butt of the stem.

Any reason to use one over the other? I always use the conventional and from my experiance making an accurate back cut stops the tree from spinning and going where you don't want it to as well as putting the front cut in a good spot.
I'm just a firewood hack. I think the Humboldt is also preferred for commercial cutting, wood for $$ the conv. Cut cuts into the good wood. Also spinning isn't always a bad thing in tight quarters trying to get a tree on the ground.

I Was just wondering what people thought was used in the pic...it doesn’t look like there’s anything but a straight cut on the front of the stump and the butt of the stem.
Not sure where I heard it but I recall it called something like a farmer's cut. Don't know if that's right or not, guilty of a few when I started and didn't know any better. No point in it as far as I know. If it was the conventional face cut you would see it on the tree side that's down is my guess. I would be embarrassed to leave a stump looking like that.

Latest posts

Back