Dead Trees Along Road

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Freudianfloyd

Clinically Diagnosed with CAD
Reaction score
I have a long stretch of trees across my front field that are very close to the main road (US Highway). Unfortunately they are all ash, therefore, they are all dead. They are close enough to the road that if they blow over, they will fall into the road.

My question is, since they are in the right of way, or very close to it, who is responsible for cutting them down? I don't have a problem doing it myself, but if for some reason, one falls into the road, I will be held liable. The other issue, is that they are not easily accessible, because between them and the road is a very deep drainage ditch. I don't know if it makes a difference, but I am in Ohio.

Should I call the county and have somebody take a look at it?

If you cut them yourself, get a rope (or cable, but rope is simpler) up into the tree. Secure it about 2/3 of the tree's height if possible, lower can work, but you'll have less leverage. Set a good pull with a tractor, but be careful not to pull the tree over on you. Or use a comealong. If you use proper felling technique, you shouldn't need too great a pull, just enough to ensure the tree goes your way. You should be knowledgeable and confident in every part of this procedure--or do not attempt it at all. As you probably know, beetle-kill ash is quite unstable.

If you can get county, state, or whoever to take responsibility, that's your best course of action.

If they are in the ROW, ODOT will take them down. If the local office doesn't respond, just keep pushing it up the chain and remind them that it costs a whole lot less than
4 million dollars (click for link to story) to remove trees on their ROWs. I know that judgement was 6 years ago...but there are still folks there who realize they screwed up and don't want it to happen again.

Summary of story: Dad is in 1 car. Mom and kids are in another driving home from Christmas party. He sees tree fall on their car killing Mom and daughter. Court found ODOT negligent awarding Dad $4,000,000.

(Not in the story: ODOT was advised by a very well-respected tree professional whose advice they sought to settle for much less. They took their chances in court.)

I'm sure it vary's on state and or county but if the tree or tree's were known to be dead or dangerous the liability could come back on you or the state or county depending where the trees are located. If a live healthy tree falls and wasn't apparent to be unsafe then no your not liable. Since there dead and your concerned, that would put liability on you, but that's only if they are on your land. It all depends on who owns the land and if they are a known danger.

If you cut them, keep in mind that Ash is very prone to splitting / barber chairing. I would not put a lot of initial pull on them and I almost always do a bore cut with Ash.
I will keep that in mind. I have gained quite a bit of experience with dead ash trees since moving to our farm. I already cut 15 down that dotted the driveway. Some went down easy, some did the complete opposite of what I intended for them to do. One was a bar pinching machine, I have since upgraded my arsenal with plenty of wedges.

Back