Wood splitter recommendations

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like this design, it's the one on the swisher units. It requires that you box(or use a bushing/spacer between the rails) the rail, but so does most of the other options like the bolt on jacks if you want them to work well.
I saved this image because I like the way they work so much better than most all the other styles I've worked with and it's simple.
View attachment 758438 View attachment 758439
I think that is how the Chinese design and make them. :buttkick::yes:

As I said before I've been here to offer help to anyone who has asked. Do I state my opinions absolutely, and you're free to as well.
I'm not sure where the lecturing/preaching happened, as far as I know I've read every view posted in this thread and I consider them all. I try to be as openminded as possible to learn where I can, even when I'm wrong.

So if you believe so strongly about the things you're stating I do, then why do you do the very things to me you're saying I'm doing to others o_O. It doesn't seem to be adding much content to the thread, but it does seem to be something you needed to get off your chest.
I'm kinda unsure if the reference to politics is in the form of things that are currently going on in politics or what, but I'm not into that scene at all. I do not and have not said that I support a particular group or leader, an ideology yes. I don't argue over politics as in all the crap going on in the government, I don't have time for that.

So did you like any of my post about the splitters, or the ones I suggested?
Personally the topic has been gone over many times, if a derail of any sort isn't expected well.
I do not place myself higher than the guys in this thread, I'd be more than happy to run saws or split wood with them even if they did have Chinese motors on their splitters, I've sold plenty of them to guys who were great guys too.

Well as far as the beef goes, when you multi quote someone in the manner that you did, It invites a response. And you got one. I thought it was pretty condecending, and that's why I responded the way I did. Sicilian blood has a low boiling point I'm afraid. But neither of us need to throw any more negative energy around. And surely, that's not why we come here. There's 100's of good dudes here to hang out with and share info, and we might as well be a couple of them ourselves.

As far as your splitter info goes, it's stellar. Good stuff and helpful. I'm reading all of it. :)

I need to put one of those jacks on my splitter, the little leg is a joke. But yeah I didn't expect the little Briggs to last as it has, starts crazy easy, and like yours it somehow doesn't burn any oil. It sure does rattle, but keeps on keepin on.

Now Bob is the heat getting to ya brother?[emoji8] I didn't see old Chipper going off the rails much in this one, just think like many of us he's tired of seeing so many things going the away of Chinese made. But I hear you some do go way off the rails, that can make us all a little grumpy some times.[emoji111]

Btw ran my 562 a bunch in 90° temps started just fine[emoji106] a little off idle bog forme time to time, but nothing I'm too worried about. Take it easy.

I would really like to think the heat is over with. Last night I left some windows open and it was 52 outside and just 62 in the kitchen. Would have been a lame excuse to start a fire though, so I just ignored it. Plus had to leave early anyway.

Glad that the 562 got through the heat wave with no problems. They do have that chassis pretty well sorted out now. There will be some "enhancments", but it's good enough that there is no need for a complete redesign, so there will be no "Mark II" version.

Chipper and I are cool. :)

I have a 30 ton Forest King from TSC with Subaru engine.
Works good for me and my 6-8 cords an year.
Heavy, full beam, sips fuel, splits anything and everything.
$1500 CAD on sale (regular was about $2200)
View attachment 758516
Looks like it even has an electric start option, there arent many units unter the 3000 price range that do.

I wish mine had the electric start.
It so much easier.
I did have to buy the log holder as an add on. $40
The last swisher I sold also had electric start. I'd rather have a stripped down version so it's lighter(easier to push around by hand), but the electric start is a nice option.
The log holder is a great way to increase production for very little cost. I like to pull my tractor bucket up to the beam(if the splitter I'm using doesn't have a log holder, then I need to have the bucket just behind the log holder)and I use the bucket as a table of sorts and I put my splits right into the bucket and haul them to the woodshed, it's a nice way to save a step bending over to pick them up off the ground.

With regard to the op's question about the Champion brand, I don't have their splitter but I have one of their generators that has the same engine.
Champion makes their own engines, they are made in China and are a Honda clone type engine. Champion has some of the best quality of the China clone manufacturers. They have a warehouse on California where they stock parts and will ship direct to you if needed. I have only needed to order parts once due to an air cleaner cover going missing. The parts were shipped to me in less than a week, and the cost was very reasonable.
They have a customer service team also in California that is knowledgeable and will assist in troubleshooting issues over the phone.
They are growing their network of small engine shops that can provide warranty service as well.
I have owned 3 of their generators over the years and would recommend them. All have given me good service and the 1st one I bought over 10 years ago still starts on the 1st pull.
Reviews on the splitters seems mostly positive, the most common issues seem to be leaks due to loose fittings, which is a common issue with many brands.

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk

so there will be no "Mark II" version.
Why is there a 550xp mark ll but no 562xp mark ll? They are basically the same design with the same issues so I would have thought if the 550xp needed to be redesigned the 562xp would be to0.

Why is there a 550xp mark ll but no 562xp mark ll? They are basically the same design with the same issues so I would have thought if the 550xp needed to be redesigned the 562xp would be to0.

Full chassis redesign is not considered necessary. The bottom end was already essentially redone in mid 2016 with the new crank, case and bearings. It's actually been a far more reliable saw since then. There will still be some enhancements/improvements. Don't know if the are going to do this, but my guess is that it would be easy to do a couple simple things that would pay off big. Wouldn't be too hard to change the air filter and filter holder to solve the air filter sealing problem. Would likely require a new top cover, and while that is being done the heat insulation and partition walls could be updated at the same time to improve the heat management. Pretty much 4 parts can make a huge difference at very little cost. And no weight gain. :)

Full chassis redesign is not considered necessary. The bottom end was already essentially redone in mid 2016 with the new crank, case and bearings. It's actually been a far more reliable saw since then. There will still be some enhancements/improvements. Don't know if the are going to do this, but my guess is that it would be easy to do a couple simple things that would pay off big. Wouldn't be too hard to change the air filter and filter holder to solve the air filter sealing problem. Would likely require a new top cover, and while that is being done the heat insulation and partition walls could be updated at the same time to improve the heat management. Pretty much 4 parts can make a huge difference at very little cost. And no weight gain. :)
could they have done the same thing to the 550xp instead of redesighning it?

Back