trying to sell my personal wood to a reseller

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

muddstopper

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Frustrated at how some folks think they can beat you out of a bargain. Since I sold my home I am going to endup leaving behind about 6 or 8 full cords of dried, seasoned and in the dry firewood. I contacted a few of the folks that advertise selling wood each winter and offered to sell them my wood. I offered to use a fel to load their truck or trailer so it wasn't like they had to even load the wood themselves. Just show up and haul the wood off. I had one guy that wanted it all, but said he didn't have a truck to haul it with and wanted me to haul it to him. Duh!, If I had time to load and haul it I would haul it to my new homesite. I had another come look at the wood when I wasn't home. He offered me $300 for all of it. I told him to make a legitimate offer, he seemed insulted. I asked him just how much wood did he think was there and he said 3 cords. I told him the wood is in a stack and we can measure it if he wanted to. 128cuft to a cord.. He hasn't replied back. I am asking $100 a cord and offered to load on their truck for them, the resellers would easily double their money. I guess I will just push it into a big pile and set it on fire. Should make a heck of a bonfire

Can you pay your contractor to drive to your old house with a dump truck and dump it at your new yard?
Its not a matter of getting it moved, its a matter of time. I got so many things going on I don't have time to fool with it. I cant load it on a big dump as the fel wont lift high enough. I might move some of it next week in my dump trailer, provided I get everything else moved. Didn't realize how much junk I had accumulated over the years.

Its not a matter of getting it moved, its a matter of time. I got so many things going on I don't have time to fool with it. I cant load it on a big dump as the fel wont lift high enough. I might move some of it next week in my dump trailer, provided I get everything else moved. Didn't realize how much junk I had accumulated over the years.
I'd find a way to get it moved, even if you end up paying a local kid to haul it in his pickup truck. It is a lot of time and hard work to CSS 8 cords of new wood on top of getting settled in your new home.

a lady i work for asked me if i knew anybody who wanted to buy her firewood. i had a guy with cash in hand willing to pay $30 a face cord (16-17” wood) for the 16 fc she has stacked up. she said she wouldnt take any less than $50 a face cord. lol, k. let me know how that works out for ya...

We plan on moving to our camper today. I still have another week to get everything moved. I get to keep my shop for storage for a year and I have just about got it full. I have moved my 18x20 storage building and have it full. I also bought a 12x20 storage shed I have filled up. I have been working on two projects at the same time. When we sold our house, our plans where to temporary move into my wife grandparents old house. My son wanted to buy the old house so we decided to help him do a little remodeling. We had planned on moving all our furniture into the old house. The remodeling has prevented us from being able to do this. For this reason, plus we where still using the furniture, we haven't moved any of the big items yet. We have managed to get the old house livable, even tho the remodel isn't finished. Moving into the camper will allow us to start moving things like our beds, dining room set, living room items and such. Most of this furniture will be left to my son when we get our new house built. At any rate, I plan on next week trying to start hauling the firewood. I'll just load on the dump trailer and dump it in piles. I might sell it this winter a load at a time. At my new house site, I had the grading contractor pile all the hardwoods in the edge of the woods next to the driveway. I probably have 3 or 4 cords in tree lengths scattered all along the drive. I'll let it just lay until I get the house built. Its not like I am going to run out of firewood anytime soon. I wont be burning any this winter as I will be limited to propane and electricity in the camper. My luck it will probably be the coldest winter on record.

The new owners won't buy it ?

That would be my question also. Sixteen years ago when we sold our last house on one of our farms as a acreage I sold the place with the two wood stoves in the house and the one in the shop hooked up and ready to go. I also sold them eight cords of wood that was stacked in a cattle shed that was on the farm with the understanding they had that year to get the wood burned and moved out of that shed. It was fall when they moved in so they had seasoned wood ready to go for the winter.

The lady that bought my house is single and 70yrs old. She wont burn the wood, if she would I would leave it for her. If I don't take the wood, she will just give it away to get rid of it. That is the part that gets me. I pretty much know who will end up with the wood and he will be selling it. Anyways, the wood wasn't part of the deal on the house, its still mine until I leave it behind.

I do plan on having a wood stove in the new house, but plans are for a lot more energy efficient house and using alternative heating sources. I plan on not burning as much wood as I have in the past. If I had all the wood I have already processed, along with the wood I have already at the house site, I probably wouldn't have to cut any for several years. There is a story about why I haven't already moved the wood to the new house site, I wont go into it except to say I wont be moving the wood there.

Burn 1/4 of it in-situ and make sure the neighbour can see it going up in smoke. Then they might get off their wallet and pay for the other 3/4 before the silly old coot next door burns it all.

:)

I get to keep my shop for storage for a year and I have just about got it full.
I have moved my 18x20 storage building and have it full.
I also bought a 12x20 storage shed I have filled up.

I think I see part of your problem here. My neighbor has the same issue. He just can't throw anything away. We once had a joint yard sale. I got rid of most of my junk by accepting every offer that was made to me. He took probably 95% of his stuff back home when the sale was over. He just wouldn't part with it for anywhere near a decent price.

It's JUNK! Get rid of it already. Anything you haven't touched in a year - sell it or chuck it. Then 2 weeks later when you finally end up needing it, then you have the money to go buy one, and TONS of space in which to put it.

But a packrat will never do that. They just can't get it into their hearts to get rid of anything, so when they finally die, their family just brings in a couple dumpsters and chucks it all.

That would be my question also. Sixteen years ago when we sold our last house on one of our farms as a acreage I sold the place with the two wood stoves in the house and the one in the shop hooked up and ready to go. I also sold them eight cords of wood that was stacked in a cattle shed that was on the farm with the understanding they had that year to get the wood burned and moved out of that shed. It was fall when they moved in so they had seasoned wood ready to go for the winter.

Hey, rancher2, nice to meet you today!

For the rest of you, he and his wife came down to Mascoutah, IL to help a neighbor of mine celebrate his 50th wedding anniversary. He recognized my dump truck and moustache. Small world!
It's always nice to put a face to a name with you all. Of course, I already forgot his real name, but that's OK. It was good to meet him.

Cheers!

Hey, rancher2, nice to meet you today!

For the rest of you, he and his wife came down to Mascoutah, IL to help a neighbor of mine celebrate his 50th wedding anniversary. He recognized my dump truck and moustache. Small world!
It's always nice to put a face to a name with you all. Of course, I already forgot his real name, but that's OK. It was good to meet him.

Cheers!
It was nice to met you and your wife also. I think he move down there in around 2005. I have know him and his family for thirty years. I should have gotten down there when his health was better. Left their this AM and pulled into the drive way at the farm eight hours later. If you get up our way you need to stop in.

I think I see part of your problem here. My neighbor has the same issue. He just can't throw anything away. We once had a joint yard sale. I got rid of most of my junk by accepting every offer that was made to me. He took probably 95% of his stuff back home when the sale was over. He just wouldn't part with it for anywhere near a decent price.

It's JUNK! Get rid of it already. Anything you haven't touched in a year - sell it or chuck it. Then 2 weeks later when you finally end up needing it, then you have the money to go buy one, and TONS of space in which to put it.

But a packrat will never do that. They just can't get it into their hearts to get rid of anything, so when they finally die, their family just brings in a couple dumpsters and chucks it all.

8m slowly cleaning out the shop. I've found plenty of stuff that was junk 20+ years ago when it was stuffed into a shelf or whatever.
And stuff we could have used but had no idea about.

Shop is about 5000sq ft with all the additions, plus there's 3 other sheds chock full of mostly parts saws.

Latest posts

Back