Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It was actually clean.lol

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
What a character lol. I've bought/traded a few saws off him and to him, I passed on that one lol.
16:1 FTW :numberone:.
Screen Shot 2018-07-26 at 8.13.13 PM.png
10w-30. LOL!!!

We ran TCW3 oil in my Husky 65 for years because honestly I didn’t know any better. The saw was like 37 years old when I sold it and it still had 110 lbs of compression. Granted low revving saws probably are more forgiving.
Yep, watched him chug a couple glugs straight out of the bottle and into his gas :laugh:.
The guy also climbs in crocks o_O, gets some chips in them and just takes them off and dumps them out.
You could learn a lot from the guy, but you have to be careful to take note of what to do and what not to do, he's in prison right now, he was hard on something other than saws :buttkick::dumb:.
Like I always say its 50:none that kills more saws than any other ratio.

Large rounds produce lots of wood. Noodled then split all 12 of these White Oak rounds with my SIL on Sat, all in less than 2 hrs (about a cord). My ported Asian 660 noodles them fast!

Then I pick up the halves and feed them to the splitter. My SIL stacks.

Attachments

• IMG_WhiteOak90828-2.jpg
    IMG_WhiteOak90828-2.jpg
    669.8 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_WhiteOak90828.jpg
    IMG_WhiteOak90828.jpg
    665.8 KB · Views: 19
Another load from one of my senior citizens. He's the father in law's neighbor and he's approaching 80 years old. They joke that they do logging and leave all the work to me. This might be 10% of the pile he has for me.View attachment 758540
That's great those guys are "logging" all that for you, what kind of rates are you paying :p.
Better have your stacks covered, coming to a town near you, the rising phoenix lol.
Screen Shot 2019-09-10 at 9.27.23 AM.png

Large rounds produce lots of wood. Noodled then split all 12 of these White Oak rounds with my SIL on Sat, all in less than 2 hrs (about a cord). My ported Asian 660 noodles them fast!

Then I pick up the halves and feed them to the splitter. My SIL stacks.
How did they taste Mike :sweet::rolleyes::lol:.
What's the stainless cart in the behind the rounds, looks like a new parts cleaner :D.
Those are some nice rounds, probably a week of heat in each one when it's not real cold for me, so about 12 weeks.
When you think about it like that big rounds make a lot of sense if you have the equipment to work them.

Still 200k + customers without power .
Cell, internet and home phones very spotty because towers and distribution hubs lost power .
All schools in the province are closed .
All good for me here at the shop but I can't get a hold of two from my three main suppliers .
It was more of a wide , hard and fast wind event than rain event for us .
Wasn't too bad here in northern NB. Better than anticipated, anyway.

Stove maintenance day 1 anyway.

img20190910_121407.jpg

Next in line after the first compresses a while.

img20190910_121425.jpg

Never used the silicon before. Its about as forgiving as a rock. Should be good once it's dry. Hated the old fiberglass but at least ya could fire harden it. Bumping 78° now so guess 24 hours isn't too bad a wait.

That's great those guys are "logging" all that for you, what kind of rates are you paying :p.
Better have your stacks covered, coming to a town near you, the rising phoenix lol.
View attachment 758559
Looks like the storm that came through here last night. Rain was coming from the east almost straight sideways.

That's some nice snob wood James :sweet:.
Is that the tract by your place, I see the bota there, were you able to just drive it over.
Yes that's the place down the road. I just throw 2 saws in the bucket and drive the tractor over. When I have enough for a truck load pulled out to the edge of the woods I'll take the truck up and bring it home. Theres some old SxS trails I use to get in and out of the woods that are to narrow for the truck but work just fine for the bota.

Went to touch up the chain on the 9010 this morning so it’s ready for tonight to finish the trunk on that big oak. File in the handle was shot and no spare for 3/8 chain. Drove to the next town to the Husky dealer that’s also a hardware store. Only files on the rack are 5/32. Asked guy behind counter and he shows me the roller guide kit with files. Told him I already have a roller guide, I just wanted files. “That’s all we sell.”:mad: Out the door and up the road to the Stihl dealer. He did have Stihl files. While I was looking for correct size the owner comes over. “You ready to buy a Stihl yet?” Told him I was happy with my Makitas. “Well, if you’re happy owning Brand X.”:mad: No wonder I only spend $20 or less a year here. No wonder I drive 2 1/2 hrs one way to see Nate. I must admit that I do like those Stihl files.

Went to touch up the chain on the 9010 this morning so it’s ready for tonight to finish the trunk on that big oak. File in the handle was shot and no spare for 3/8 chain. Drove to the next town to the Husky dealer that’s also a hardware store. Only files on the rack are 5/32. Asked guy behind counter and he shows me the roller guide kit with files. Told him I already have a roller guide, I just wanted files. “That’s all we sell.”:mad: Out the door and up the road to the Stihl dealer. He did have Stihl files. While I was looking for correct size the owner comes over. “You ready to buy a Stihl yet?” Told him I was happy with my Makitas. “Well, if you’re happy owning Brand X.”:mad: No wonder I only spend $20 or less a year here. No wonder I drive 2 1/2 hrs one way to see Nate. I must admit that I do like those Stihl files.
This maid me chuckle. When I got the 590 I wanted a 362 and my stihl dealer pointed me toward the 590. Said built as well runs as hard and $350 cheaper cause it doesn't say stihl on it :numberone:.

I stopped to look at chains at L and M today.....

They only had one version of 70 DL chain, which wasn't what I wanted.

Best one: 72 DL .050 Oregon LGX was $26.54 a loop!!!! But 72 DL .058 LGX was $19.95. I asked the guy working the small engine desk why the difference and if there was possibly an error because they are usually the same price "I dunno, they repriced things last week, that's what it is."

Stihl chain not made in 70 DL either. So I guess I will either shop the trading post here or hit Amazon.

Best one: 72 DL .050 Oregon LGX was $26.54 a loop!!!! But 72 DL .058 LGX was $19.95. I asked the guy working the small engine desk why the difference and if there was possibly an error because they are usually the same price "I dunno, they repriced things last week, that's what it is."

Stihl chain not made in 70 DL either. So I guess I will either shop the trading post here or hit Amazon.
And many local shops such as this complain about people buying online, wonder why?

58gauge is also less expensive than 50ga here also. They buy and sell more 58ga and get a better volume price from Oregon is what I was told. Would pass on both of those prices.

A good dealer is gold. Some of those guys must not realize that trashing a man's current saw usually isn't the straightest path to a quick sale. Unfortunately many folks in power equipement sales are a bit short on personality and people skills.

I have been in sales long enough to know that it is important to follow the buyer's lead. If they ask you about a competing brand, you had better give an answer that isn't totally scathing. Now on the other hand, if they come to you and say "I really don't like XXX" then you know they are looking for you to get them into something better.

58gauge is also less expensive than 50ga here also. They buy and sell more 58ga and get a better volume price from Oregon is what I was told. Would pass on both of those prices.
Interesting, was always the same here. Funny because 60 DL chains of both gauges are the same price.

A good dealer is gold. Some of those guys must not realize that trashing a man's current saw usually isn't the straightest path to a quick sale. Unfortunately many folks in power equipement sales are a bit short on personality and people skills.

I have been in sales long enough to know that it is important to follow the buyer's lead. If they ask you about a competing brand, you had better give an answer that isn't totally scathing. Now on the other hand, if they come to you and say "I really don't like XXX" then you know they are looking for you to get them into something better.
Many years ago, I started with a poulan wildthing to clear many hundreds of pine trees. It took some abuse but eventually gave up and I headed to a chainsaw shop for repairs. A husky shop called Gardening Aids North Shore. Walked in, put the saw on the counter and proceeded to ask if they could look to repair it for me. Before I could finish explaining the symptoms the staff/owner boomed his disapproval of it not being a husqvarna and chastised me for buying a crappy brand saw and refused to service it. He couldn't have been more negative or, frankly, derogatory. In that instant he lost my business for life and I don't mind telling the story and naming the store to anyone who will listen. There were so many other ways he could have handled it but somehow thought that route was his best option. Granted, I only have one NZ sourced husky, a 395, but he lost the chance to sell me it years before I wanted to buy one.

Many years ago, I started with a poulan wildthing to clear many hundreds of pine trees. It took some abuse but eventually gave up and I headed to a chainsaw shop for repairs. A husky shop called Gardening Aids North Shore. Walked in, put the saw on the counter and proceeded to ask if they could look to repair it for me. Before I could finish explaining the symptoms the staff/owner boomed his disapproval of it not being a husqvarna and chastised me for buying a crappy brand saw and refused to service it. He couldn't have been more negative or, frankly, derogatory. In that instant he lost my business for life and I don't mind telling the story and naming the store to anyone who will listen. There were so many other ways he could have handled it but somehow thought hat route was his best option. Granted, I only have one NZ sourced husky, a 395, but he lost the chance to sell me one years before I wanted to buy one.
I was a marine mechanic for summers while in college. Now this was 20 years ago but at the time, the marine mechanic shop rate was $58 an hour.

The owner REFUSED to work on Mercury outboards because they were "pieces of ****". He turned away several jobs per week which was financially stupid as he was paying the mechanics 10-12 bucks an hour so the business was making 46-48 dollars PER TECH PER HOUR! Personally I would work on every Merc that came through the door!!! People would leave pissed because he insulted their stuff.

Secondly he refused to stock Lund, Crestliner, or Alumacraft boats because they didn't have as high of a profit margin as the off brands. But so many local folks would drive 30-90 minutes away to buy them so he lost the opportunity to sell them a trailer, motor or two, depth finders, bumpers, and so on. I just do not get it.

Back