Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Drove to the next town to the Husky dealer that’s also a hardware store. Only files on the rack are 5/32.

Some 'pure' hardware stores carry chainsaw files, if you can't make it to a saw shop. Usually Nicholson brand, which are pretty good. Might be a little more expensive, but not a big deal if you just need one or two.

I bought files by the dozen, when on sale at Bailey's, etc.

They only had one version of 70 DL chain, which wasn't what I wanted. . . . Stihl chain not made in 70 DL either.

Steve, you are long past the point of owning and learning how to use a spinner and breaker! Lets you buy / use a lot more available chain.

Best one: 72 DL .050 Oregon LGX was $26.54 a loop!!!! But 72 DL .058 LGX was $19.95.

Probably based on their sales value. Of coarse, the .058 chain might run in your bar if the groove is worn enough.

Philbert

I stopped to look at chains at L and M today.....

They only had one version of 70 DL chain, which wasn't what I wanted.

Best one: 72 DL .050 Oregon LGX was $26.54 a loop!!!! But 72 DL .058 LGX was $19.95. I asked the guy working the small engine desk why the difference and if there was possibly an error because they are usually the same price "I dunno, they repriced things last week, that's what it is."

Stihl chain not made in 70 DL either. So I guess I will either shop the trading post here or hit Amazon.
Went in to my local Stihl dealer and asked for a 70 drive link chain. He handed this to me and said "what do you have a homelite or something?" I told him a poulan and he asked if I needed anything else and thanks for coming in.
8f48b627c67b40ecce762b0691a0cf43.jpg

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

Some 'pure' hardware stores carry chainsaw files, if you can't make it to a saw shop. Usually Nicholson brand, which are pretty good. Might be a little more expensive, but not a big deal if you just need one or two.

I bought files by the dozen, when on sale at Bailey's, etc.

Steve, you are long past the point of owning and learning how to use a spinner and breaker! Lets you buy / use a lot more available chain.

Probably based on their sales value. Of coarse, the .058 chain might run in your bar if the groove is worn enough.

Philbert
Yeah I know I’m overdue. But I have this friend who only charges me a buck or two to alter chains and he cleans/sharpens them real nice too. I try to buy him coffee and/or lunch a few times a year cause he won’t take payment. ;)

Wet this week and back into the 80s after that. Had a few cool days that kinda lit my fire but dont appear to be sticking around just yet. Prolly good timing as the skiddy is down for maintenance. Hard to go back to the ole Jackson after having skiddy around LOL.

Ok, here’s the pics I promised. Finished up cutting the trunk off the rootball and dragging it out and bucked it. Here’s Wayne bucking the trunk with the 9010 and knocking off the limb knobs off the trunk for easier handling with the 64210F4CB3B7-3B63-4363-9D16-914EA2C6CA7B.jpeg 311AC79B-9F65-4CE0-B4CF-AFB59C55BEE4.jpeg . I carry a spare pair of chaps but Wayne won’t wear them.

Wet this week and back into the 80s after that. Had a few cool days that kinda lit my fire but dont appear to be sticking around just yet. Prolly good timing as the skiddy is down for maintenance. Hard to go back to the ole Jackson after having skiddy around LOL.
Jeez I checked the ten day and it’s supposed to be 81 up here on Tuesday.

We need to set an alarm to revisit these comments in late February when we are moaning about the cold...:drinkingcoffee:
Honestly once it gets cool I can do without the hot fall days. Always dry and dusty plus the flies come out like crazy!

I’m planning to more or less do wood all weekend so at least it will be mild for that.

Sorry but this is a little funny. Half of my hometown (current population around 8000) was out of power for much of the day because a goose flew into a transformer. Too damn many of those things!!!
time to start shooting transformer's again … there way to plentiful everywhere!

They are for fire starter, not eating.

I believe that is a freebe he got when a place closed, and he uses it for ice, beer + soda!
They sure work good for that don't they, I don't get any asian noodles lol. When I'm working some larger rounds off the trailer I like to spread them out about an inch thick, if it's a nice day they will be completely dry in a few hrs and ready to light a fire(dead seasoned wood even if wet when you cut it).
That's a nice scrounge, those things aren't cheap :envy::envy::envy:.

Yes that's the place down the road. I just throw 2 saws in the bucket and drive the tractor over. When I have enough for a truck load pulled out to the edge of the woods I'll take the truck up and bring it home. Theres some old SxS trails I use to get in and out of the woods that are to narrow for the truck but work just fine for the bota.
That's awesome to have a place to cut that close to home!

Back