3/8 vs. .325 Chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As a general rule .325 will work best on 50cc or less saws. 3/8 LO-Pro on limbers 42cc and smaller and use 3/8 on the bigger stuff 55cc and bigger. Type of wood matters too, but the is a good rule of thumb.

+1

Exactly the same thing I've found out here. Bar length makes a difference as well. I don't like the 3/8"LP past about 14", and the .325 past 18".....Cliff

I know this is an old thread but...I have a Stihl 028super which is 50.4 ish cc's. We've used it for years with a 20 inch .325 B&C. It cuts decent but wears out much faster than a 3/8 20inch on 1 of my other saws. I ordered a 3/8 rim sprocket to replace the .325 spur. I already have a 16inch 3/8 B&C which I am going to try out. If an MS170 can pull that chain thru a 14 inch log then an 028 super should rip! Keep in mind that this is in lodgepole and Doug fir. Just my 2 cents. I don't have much hardwood cutting experience.

I know this is an old thread but...I have a Stihl 028super which is 50.4 ish cc's. We've used it for years with a 20 inch .325 B&C. It cuts decent but wears out much faster than a 3/8 20inch on 1 of my other saws. I ordered a 3/8 rim sprocket to replace the .325 spur. I already have a 16inch 3/8 B&C which I am going to try out. If an MS170 can pull that chain thru a 14 inch log then an 028 super should rip! Keep in mind that this is in lodgepole and Doug fir. Just my 2 cents. I don't have much hardwood cutting experience.

I changed my 325 to a 375 on my ms290. All soft woods and it is an improved saw. Slows down in larger green wood. I can't put a lot of leverage on the bar, but with a sharpened chain is cuts very well with 18 inches of 375. So well next year I am going to put a 20 inch .375 B&C on it.

An ms170 would be pulling 3/8 LO PROFILE chain, which is quite a bit smaller than .325.

An ms170 would be pulling 3/8 LO PROFILE chain, which is quite a bit smaller than .325.
My ms170 came with the .043gauge low pro B&C. I switched it out to a .050 gauge standard Stihl B&C. I am going to put that .050 on my 028 once I get the new sprocket and put the. 043 back on the ms170. I am also curious how the full chisel does compared to the semi .325.

Full chisel .325 on my Husqvarna 340 16".

Thing is just glorious in pine. Banshee wailing, razors all over the place :)

My ms170 came with the .043gauge low pro B&C. I switched it out to a .050 gauge standard Stihl B&C. I am going to put that .050 on my 028 once I get the new sprocket and put the. 043 back on the ms170. I am also curious how the full chisel does compared to the semi .325.

3/8 LO pro comes in both .043 and .050 gauge. I'd be truly surprised if you managed to get true full sized 3/8 pitch chain on an ms170. You'd need a 3005 mount 3/8 bar. I'd love to see some pics. Compare the size of the cutter on the different gauges you swapped out. Unless they're radically different, it's still lo pro or "picco" chain. A chain model number would solve it too. PS or PM and it's not true 3/8 chain.

3/8 LO pro comes in both .043 and .050 gauge. I'd be truly surprised if you managed to get true full sized 3/8 pitch chain on an ms170. You'd need a 3005 mount 3/8 bar. I'd love to see some pics. Compare the size of the cutter on the different gauges you swapped out. Unless they're radically different, it's still lo pro or "picco" chain. A chain model number would solve it too. PS or PM and it's not true 3/8 chain.

You're right...I will take a closer look tonight when I get home from work. The cutters on the .050 are substantially larger than the .043 but I didn't think about that. I will get back to you when I have a chance to look at it. If I need to I will just buy a new B&C. Either way, I will be happy to get rid of the 325 chain

I took a close look at my saws. You are right about the mounts. 3005 vs 3003 mounts. Stihl doesn't offer a 16 inch in 3003 mount so I guess the smaller bar is staying on the 170. I was just hoping to save $85. Oh well. Thanks for being that too my attention.

Similar curiosity, I have a .325 stihl all in one sharpener (you can’t just swap out the file which is a drag) and a new saw that runs 3/8 chain. Since the file is just ever so slightly smaller than the cutter would I be okay using the sharpener? It was never going to be machine perfect with me doing it anyway.
The post you replied to is 10 yrs old, don't expect a response from the OP.

Brian, I think your 590 will like a 16"-18" .325 setup best. If your not cutting big stuff with it all the time you may like to try a 8 tooth sprocket on it.

That is considered a high speed saw, not a torquer.
I've got two Jonsered 490's both have .325 chain, .058, 7 tooth sprocket. I'm running Oregon VersaCut 16" and 20" bar with no problem . Bucking firewood and clearing fence rows. Anything from cedars too hedge.

I like .325 on 50cc and under, for the most part. I have tried the 3/8th on the 260 and it seemed to bog a little more. I like the 3/8 on my 361 though.
My expiereance agrees with this as it pertains to stock saws. 50cc cuts better with .325" and everything bigger with 3/8".
Now with that said I have often ran 3/8 on 50cc saws just because it's nice to buy 1 roll of chain instead of 2.
Also Stihl RS has always been the fastest cutting .325 for me.

Back