Hard starting reputation of McCulloch saws?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Most of the hard starting, vapor locking problems were from th 50’s to 60’s saws, being used all day by pros. By the time I got into the business, in 1972, the vapor locking problems were pretty much over. If we had any starting problems the saw went to the shop for a tune up and came back running. Big difference between using a saw all day 5 days a week and the hobbiest I’ve become. Now a days if I have a starting problem my first guess is fuel, then ignition. Most of my saws sit for months, even years, between starting. The old saws are for play, I’ve got new saws to beat on.

All of the Macs start as well or better than the other colors I have. I keep the gunk blown out of them. Dont run too hard during the summer months, but they all start back hot with a light tug on the rope. Maybe a couple pulls on choke if run dry, then one or two with choke off and back to the races.
I'm of the same opinion as others here. I think compressed air and keeping ignition clean goes a long way, as well as good fuel and mix.

Back