Husky 580 backback blower question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nathan Graff

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have a Husky 580 blower that I did a muffler mod to, and I'm wondering how to tune it. I don't see any screws in the carb for adjusting, and I was wondering if I have to get a tool to help set it, etc. Also, are there different carbs for that blower, and if so, how do I tell them apart?

So, the hole was sealed, and I picked it out with an oring pick. Seems like I have it dieseling slightly now. Required about a quarter turn.

I cleaned the carb some more and found a number. WYA 237a 717.

2019-09-11_06-37-53 by wolverine00089, on Flickr

I gutted part of the inside of the muffler, and opened the exit hole all the way to the outside of the dimple with a mill, and then carved the screen holder to look like that.

Can the lever in the carb be reset, or a larger fuel orifice be put in?

The metering lever can be adjusted but it can be a pain to find that happy spot between not enough fuel and flooding like the mississippi.

As for the jetting I believe those are fixed jets.

So, I played with adjusting the metering lever today. I stopped with raising the lever by 0.027", and it runs fine, no misses, but it doesn't want to start without the throttle cracked open a bit. The lever on the carb is pushed to the open position by just a bit under 1/8" and under those conditions starts first pull then when warm.

So, I'm thinking too much fuel on the low side right now. As far as I can figure, the high side is fine.

Back