Climbing ropes and spikes

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've never actually climbed on a zigzag, but have played with one set up on the ground. VERY smooth. I bought a Unicender instead so I can switch to stationary rope as well. I climb 90% moving rope so a zigzag may have been a better purchase. (this was over a year before the release of the Akimbo...which sounds very nice, but maybe just a little finicky to get dialed in to the rope and climber specifically). I'm stuck in the middle of moving and stationary. I like ascending with stationary rope, but prefer moving around the tree with the moving rope (doubled rope) system. My friends who are all stationary tell me I just need to get used to it. Maybe similar thing the OP is going through. I like what I am used to, but know there may be "better" options out there!

Have you tried the zigzag with either a Rope Wrench or Chicane for stationary rope?

I've never actually climbed on a zigzag, but have played with one set up on the ground. VERY smooth. I bought a Unicender instead so I can switch to stationary rope as well. I climb 90% moving rope so a zigzag may have been a better purchase. (this was over a year before the release of the Akimbo...which sounds very nice, but maybe just a little finicky to get dialed in to the rope and climber specifically). I'm stuck in the middle of moving and stationary. I like ascending with stationary rope, but prefer moving around the tree with the moving rope (doubled rope) system. My friends who are all stationary tell me I just need to get used to it. Maybe similar thing the OP is going through. I like what I am used to, but know there may be "better" options out there!

Have you tried the zigzag with either a Rope Wrench or Chicane for stationary rope?

I don't do a lot of trimming, just removals for the most part, I just spur up with the ddrt set. I've been looking at the Chicane though. I have no experience with SRT but want to try it for access, then switch back to ddrt

I love pruning enjoyed traveling much more than take downs. New Jersey was a lot of pruning, North Carolina has a lot of takedowns. I wish I could educate the clientele that pruning is a better option then take downs in many cases.

I love pruning enjoyed traveling much more than take downs. New Jersey was a lot of pruning, North Carolina has a lot of takedowns. I wish I could educate the clientele that pruning is a better option then take downs in many cases.
Not sure about spending money on new equipment this late in the game. Wish this new technology was around when I was in my prime. But a new saddle and rope will make the last few years of climbing at least comfortable.

Looks like I’m going with a Notch Sentinel saddle, Teufelberger / Tachyon rope and a DMM / climbing system Combo. This includes a gold hitch climber Pulley, Gold ultra Carabiners and a 30” ocean 8 mm Eye to eye prusik.

Looks like I’m going with a Notch Sentinel saddle, Teufelberger / Tachyon rope and a DMM / climbing system Combo. This includes a gold hitch climber Pulley, Gold ultra Carabiners and a 30” ocean 8 mm Eye to eye prusik.
I went with Tachyon over Ivy due to wax content. Have some wax makes sense over no wax. What’s everyone opinion on this?

Treemotion harness, zigzag, yale imori with spliced eye and an ART ropeguide has been my favourite ddrt combo.
SRT for access with a homemade setup of chest ascender, pantin and knee ascender with hand ascender and homemade spliced tether holding it all together

Can't recommend the ms150t enough either, when derestricted it's the best pruning/small removal saw I've ever used

Back