Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The last picture of the attachment on the trailer is my front mounted cultivator. It attaches to the front of my loader quick attach and I use it to drag roots and branches out. It started out as a corn scuffler toolbar and then I took my torch to it. Stump grinder is behind it on the trailer.
20190909_174515.jpg 20190909_105056.jpg 20190909_105025.jpg

Got hooked up with a guy that bought himself a wood miser saw mill. He saves the butt ends of the hardwood he cuts. Mostly oak. In this pic I've already hauled a load out of there, but the big piece next to pallet is huge, barely roll it. It measured like 33 inches tall.

But I think I ruined it. He's got the mill set up at a landscaping center. See pallets of pavers? I brought wife & splitter to get this big one. I cut in half, got 1 piece split. On second piece the return line let go. Blasted the back of my wife's arm. Oil spraying everywhere. I ran in under raining oil & killed splitter. I was pissed needless to say. So I basically loaded everything up, not knowing how bad my wife's arm was (wasn't bad).

A few days later the guy texted me saying the landscape guy was going to charge him for all the pavers that got oil on them. The return line was flapping in the air until I killed engine. Long story short, the owner of the pavers let it go, told the sawmill guy don't worry about it. He relayed message to me. So I really don't know if I'll be invited back.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
8709ca9c3fcb3eb5ea0b77c13d5f8c19.jpg

just take a bottle of dawn and a hose. clean them up. they'll have you back for sure.
Yep do what you can to alleviate the situation as long as they will let you, if they won't...
To me it's all about the relationships, I won't let a rock stand in the way, even if they put the value of that rock higher than what I do, I'd make it right since I'm causing them an inconvenience. You take care of that with that type of attitude and blessings will come pouring in!

Well I must have done something right, because the blessing are pouring in, well at least a bunch of my trees are :laugh:.
I came home to this tonight, some strong storms rolled thru around 8.
Tomorrow I'll be doing a bit of cutting:chainsaw:. You swinging buy @Philbert . I'll also need some advice on what will stand up and what won't :).
This is our main drive which is shared, large(16+) black locust down across the drive. Neighbor didn't think a tree on the drive would stop people o_O.
Screen Shot 2019-09-11 at 11.13.23 PM.png
Here's the accessory drive, nice sized cherry top blew out of a large cherry and took down an elm I planned on taking out anyway along with the cherry, just didn't want to do them until early spring but no time better than now lol.
Screen Shot 2019-09-11 at 11.13.43 PM.png

just take a bottle of dawn and a hose. clean them up. they'll have you back for sure.
Really, ok I'll have to check that out. I spoke to a guy I kinda work with that used to be in that business, stone, brick, pavers etc & I asked him. I said hey if I get some brake clean & spray them down will it come clean. Fricken guy said nope, nothing you can do, they are lost.

So thanks I'll look into this.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Would if I could. Take care with that.

Philbert
Thanks anyway :).
I've got a lot of work to do here tomorrow and I have to make sure my neighbor stays safe with his saws. It would be most productive if he just hauled brush, but I'm sure he's gonna want to run his saws, why wouldn't he right! I'll focus on getting the big locust out of the drive/his parking spot and turn around, as well as the other tree in the main drive, then I'll be free to do mine.
I'm really bumming about some of the smaller trees that are totally bent over and the root balls half exposed on some, I wanted to save those trees out.
The good thing is there are a few others I wanted to take down this just got them down for me, now I have to cut them up and clean up the mess.
Lots of firewood for down the rd :yes:.

Attachments

• 20180428_175658.jpg
    20180428_175658.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 18
I've been busy clearing a building site near Tobermory in my spare work days. I don't know how loggers can do this all day every day. I took a bunch of equipment up there to make it easier on me. The owner has me piling the poplar, cedar, white pine and tamarack logs in the heavy bush. They will rot long before he ever gets to cutting them. Between him and me we are chipping most of the branches and smaller trees. I have an excavator and dozer coming in to remove stumps and push them back into the bush then dig the house when I'm done playing. It's been cool enough so I haven't seen any rattle snakes in awhile which is good. I've cut about 50 trees down that were over 15" diameter and likely several hundred that were smaller. Still have 25 big ones and 100's of smaller ones to go yet.
That's what, about a 3 hour commute? Only way I'd ever clear a lot is if was for myself. That's a lot of slugging!

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

Don't even get me started svk, I make my wife insane with my bolt and parts hoarding. haha. No joke, I go to town once a month for feed n such, so I keep anything that will save me a trip to town ! we are normal, other folks are weird.
I’m especially a pack rat at the cabin, because if you need anything on Saturday afternoon or Sunday it’s an hour and ten minutes to the nearest hardware store!

I’m especially a pack rat at the cabin, because if you need anything on Saturday afternoon or Sunday it’s an hour and ten minutes to the nearest hardware store!
lol its a tough life living in the sticks, but your tougher? right!

Does anyone else scrounge for bolts like this? I probably have 25 cans worth of goodies from dad and grandpa.

View attachment 759043
I buy them by the 5 gallon bucks at garage sales..... and then my oldest son is a scraper/garage/house clean outs...

Thanks anyway. I've got a lot of work to do here tomorrow and I have to make sure my neighbor stays safe with his saws.

I currently have 'invites' to go to the Bahamas, Carolinas, NW WIsconsin, Sioux Falls, . . .

Does anyone else scrounge for bolts like this? I probably have 25 cans worth of goodies from dad and grandpa.
Mine are labeled! This is a small fraction (cropped out some of the hoarding mess).

IMG_3809.JPG
Philbert

Back