not sharpened correctly, outta the box?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bigger limbs that broke off sorry.

I feel sharpening a saw chain is an art by itself.

Looks like most would find exl ready to cut (pic). I wouldn't touch lpx or txl either, but I just cut a little firewood, not a pro like you guys.

powercut_chain_segment2.png

I have noticed a few things on new Stihl chains that are not up to my liking but they will still cut wood ok for most people using them. For me the one thing is the depth gauges are different heights from left to right side, only a few thou but it takes 3 - 4 strokes of a good file to even them up, another is the top plate angle from left to right is off a couple degrees, not a big deal but they used to be better just a couple years back. The gullets are not cleaned up any more so a few extra strokes of the round file gets rid of that annoying bump, on the first filing the file is difficult to get it into the curvature of the cutter, sort to have to wiggle it in and get the first couple of strokes started. For my own use I am still using chain made back in the late 80`s and 90`s since I bought out several close outs years back when the prices were pennies on the dollar.

The latest ones I have seen have a sharp spur left where the grinding wheel stops about 1/16" before hitting the chassis, that spur often has wood fiber clinging to it when a used saw comes in for a service. To me that means extra drag on the chain and powerhead.

I suppose the problem lies in the factory grinding wheel profile. We who grind may do a few chains per day/month/whatever & keep a close eye on the wheel and adjust it to our liking whenever we dress or it gets out of shape. The Swiss chain factory grinders most likely grind more cutters in a day than the membership here does in a year. Occaisionally I get a beautiful factory grind out the box but most of the time its close to or far from 'perfect'. The best solution short of asking for a job in Stihl chain facility is to become a competing filer/grinder. Know what the cutter should look like & be able to rectify anything you don't like. I ain't a 'sharpening snob' who has to touch up every new chain. Actually the opposite, when I get a bad factory grind, I want to run it and see how it performs. Doing this has served me well & taught me what does or doesn't work so well. IMO there's no excuse for D/G's to be uneven on new chain. That's an issue the factory should look into. Consistency is important in manufacturing.

It's like buying a new axe. They ship 'em out dull. The idea seems to be that if you are too "dull" (minded), to sharpen, then maybe you need to run a dull chain. So, it saves the Mfr money. It protects the "guys" on the assembly line from sharp things. (Plus, they are scared of those sharp points) Saving the company money on band aids. And, a little job related cut can equal 2 weeks off for the injury.
Someday, the only way you will be able to buy a saw, will be with an exhaust plug, to protect you from "that dangerous spinning thingy". We need more real men... !
N

It's like buying a new axe. They ship 'em out dull. The idea seems to be that if you are too "dull" (minded), to sharpen, then maybe you need to run a dull chain. So, it saves the Mfr money. It protects the "guys" on the assembly line from sharp things. (Plus, they are scared of those sharp points) Saving the company money on band aids. And, a little job related cut can equal 2 weeks off for the injury.
Someday, the only way you will be able to buy a saw, will be with an exhaust plug, to protect you from "that dangerous spinning thingy". We need more real men... !
N
Maybe why they ship new mower blades with a thick coat of paint,

to keep the bloodletting to a minimum before you get it home.

Who are we to say they are not ground correctly just because they don't match our file?.
The last stihl chain I bought had about 3 radiases to it, it cut like a banshee, same with the new type husky chain on my 572, first filing changed it a lot.

One job I had, was as a mechanic at a hardware store/dealership. One time the owner came into the shop, and told me that he had a customer in his office complaining and bleeding, he told me not to get them that sharp.

I started laughing.

He thought about it a moment, smiled, and turned and walked out.

One job I had, was as a mechanic at a hardware store/dealership. One time the owner came into the shop, and told me that he had a customer in his office complaining and bleeding, he told me not to get them that sharp.

I started laughing.

He thought about it a moment, smiled, and turned and walked out.
Too sharp,lol! That’s like saying too much boob showing!

Thanks guys for chiming in, I thought I was going senile, or maybe seeing things... Yes, sharpening a chain is a form of Art. I am gradually getting better at this, both hand and with the grinder. I want the chains to FLY when I am done. I am slowly building a decent reputation and loyal following at the store where I am sharpening chains.

The Oregon stuff is looking better lately than the Stihl stuff. Don't even drop to what I recall seeing in Carlton chain!

Once I have this round stuff down, I am going to move it up a notch to the SQUARE stuff. It is all in the quest for knowledge and experience

Back