MS880 being picked up tomorrow...any tips?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cuein

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
The Stihl dealer called. My new MS880 arrived. The dealer said it’s the first he’s ever seen (they at a small shop). I’m picking it up tomorrow. Im using it for milling. Based off what I’ve read, I should just use lower throttle on logs for 2-3 tanks. Should I just cut a ton of cookies out of logs in the woods? Any other recommendations?

It’s raining a lot here, so I’ll likely be putting my 066 back together and praying it works...it’s been frustrating...

Chainsaw carbs have two setting with which they are intended to be used, idle and wide open throttle. I would not run a saw somewhere in between those to settings very long at all. The 880 is rev limited, do not lean out the carb looking for power. If you think it is running rich you are probably not loading the saw up enough, and rich is way better than lean.

Stihl does not warranty any saw used for milling. Put some time on that saw looking for factory fresh issues before milling, Stihl builds lemons just like every manufacture out there.

Honestly there have been numerous studies about running engines for break ins. Running them hard or soft does not seem to really matter.

In my opinion, when I get a new saw now, I check for air leaks and quality control issues.

For a simple guy who doesn’t want to do that, you should imo at the minimum check cylinder head bolts for tightness and carb mounting bolts for tightness.
Make sure you don’t run it lean is really the best advice, be familiar with adjusting a high jet at the minimum and understanding what lean sounds like.

Before you even fire it up read the manual front to back.

Enjoy :) great saw!!!

Edit
Don’t mean to scare you I should say the higher end machines such as yours usually have excellent quality control. Another tidbit is use the manufacturer recommend oil. For the ratio and milking you should run at 40:1 or lower imo

Customer- “I would like to buy a new saw. I will break it in slowly over time while working it’s way up to full throttle. I will not hold it wide open throttle out of the wood ever. It is my new $2000.00 baby.”

Dealer, after unboxing saw- “Hold my beer.”

New saw screaming no load WOT immediately.

Dealer- “It’s okay, I’m a professional salesman.”

The 880 is rev limited.

Chainsaw carbs have two setting with which they are intended to be used, idle and wide open throttle. I would not run a saw somewhere in between those to settings very long at all. The 880 is rev limited, do not lean out the carb looking for power. If you think it is running rich you are probably not loading the saw up enough, and rich is way better than lean.

Stihl does not warranty any saw used for milling. Put some time on that saw looking for factory fresh issues before milling, Stihl builds lemons just like every manufacture out there.
Correct in every way.
Run that bad boy wide open once you run it it. Wide open for milling. Load it up if you want to. They are rev limited, so you WILL NOT hurt it running it wide open.
But definitely run a few tanks through it cutting firewood or something, before you mill.
Have fun. Milling is awesome!

Sent from my SM-A505YN using Tapatalk

Do some noodling. That will give you longer “in wood” times.

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

Send it to a Reputable Porter & let him fix it: they are dogs stock.

b42e580b86c6ce8554a2d2fa06f51606.jpg

Keep your chain sharp or you will be buying a new Oil Pump.

My 4th 1124 is an 084.

I don’t use it enough to warrant one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Latest posts

Back