Want to buy a good saw that can handle 20-24” bar, any advice?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ElkgroveAsh

Reaction score
i want to buy a saw that is used to help offset the cost of a costlier saw, but I want to get something that can handle a 20-24” bar with ease. I am partial to echo just because they don’t have that high pitches whine that stihl has, but I won’t object to that brand if the price is right.

I’m also thinking of buying it off of eBay, any advice?

I was thinking of an older EVL series but I read somewhere that the older one which a higher CC might not be as powerful as a newer one with lower CC, that true?

I’m only going to do limb cutting at home but the limbs and trunk I have are HUGE , at least to me that is (dealing with a 200+yr old ash tree and a few 40-50yr olds

I like the Husky 460 XT not because they are much better than any body's, but they have been great fro me. You can get a 24'' bar with them for about $475 shipped. I bought three of them and they have held up. Thanks

I’m also thinking of buying it off of eBay, any advice?
Welcome to A.S.!

Buying used off eBay can be a real crap shoot, unless you are familiar with working on saws, and have access to parts and tools. Buying locally, such as on Craigslist, at least you can see the saw and try it out.

Some dealers sell used, or reconditioned saws.

Otherwise, it might be a better idea to buy a new one, like those mentioned.

Philbert

Not an echo but there are still some Jred 2165's on eBay under $600 plenty of gogo to pull a 20 with authority and a 24 well.

I am in the market for a saw that will
Handle a 24" bar well as well, I went to my local saw shop, and asked the owners opinion, and he walked past the huskies and stihls and went to the exho's, he at first said the timberwolf, but I told him full wrap handle, and I don't like plastic handles, so he said the cs620wp was the one to go with, magnesium covers, aluminum full wrap handle, and can get it with a 24" bar off the floor, a bit more money, but I'd say it's worth it. If I could buy my buddy's husky 257 off him I would, but he's not interested in selling it, so I'd just assume go to a new saw, but; the price is gonna be a bit steep for some, but I like durability, and plastic covers vs magnesium, I feel it's worth it to spend a bit more money for something that's more durable, I'm not a logger, still, I like my tools to handle anything I may or may not throw at them, as Iv cursed at myself for skimping out and having something break on me in the past.

Good luck in your hunt!

I always see a lot of nice saws on here for sale from some reliable sellers. If I found what I wanted on here versus eBay I’d go here before eBay.

Back