Stihl 056

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Saw looks like it’s in decent shape. You can buy new badges on eBay. I sourced quite a few NOS parts off eBay for mine
Been trying to find clutch springs but NLA from Stihl. i have seen some on ebay but never the correct ones. for lack of a better term i need the ones that have 4 coils between the hooks. Any tips? thanks Yota.

20190911_200059.jpg

I have quite a few parts and a few complete saws that need gone through. Problem is finding motivation to touch the stuff.

I said I paid $275 but it was actually $175. Picked up an OEM ignition module(not Bosh or SEM not sure of the maker) from my local saw shop. Yeah they actually had ONE for it. She is running now but I have to adjust the throttle linkage as it will not return to idle without pulling out on the trigger. Maybe I can put a stronger return spring in the trigger not sure yet. My local saw shop has clutch parts if anyone needs something that they may have I wouldn't mind taking a paypal donation to cover the part and shipping because yall are so helpful. When I got home and got it fired up after running for a bit I tried putting my 36" bar and chain on it. Evidently I need to change the sprocket because it wouldn't work. I am trying to use this bar and chain combo on it. any suggestions are welcome on what clutch I need or if it will work at all. For all I know right now it may be set up for a .404 chain.20190912_190937.resized.jpg 20190912_191007.resized.jpg

The spring is a part of the carb for the throttle. Maybe you didn’t connect the rods correctly? I’m interested to see what ignition you ended up with. Like I said before eBay has tons of parts most for little money

The spring is a part of the carb for the throttle. Maybe you didn’t connect the rods correctly? I’m interested to see what ignition you ended up with. Like I said before eBay has tons of parts most for little money
If you (Or previous owner) cross the linkage it will drag and make you think a stronger spring is needed. I lost a piston from this on a saw from ebay. The carb was worn from all of the binding but someone had put a stronger spring on it and it was working great Until It wasn't:nofunny:
I found the carb body sloppy around the throttle shaft. something to be aware of...

Got it together. It has a 3/8 sprocket but not being used to this clutch setup I apparently did not have the chain in the sprocket. it is running great and idles like a dream. need to tune the high end and get her in some wood. Will post a video after I slab the wood it is sitting on. going to get a 1 1/2 inch thick slab. Sweetgum. What gas mix should I run 50:1? Thanks all.20190914_090017.resized.jpg 20190914_090026.resized.jpg 20190914_090035.resized.jpg

Got it together. It has a 3/8 sprocket but not being used to this clutch setup I apparently did not have the chain in the sprocket. it is running great and idles like a dream. need to tune the high end and get her in some wood. Will post a video after I slab the wood it is sitting on. going to get a 1 1/2 inch thick slab. Sweetgum. What gas mix should I run 50:1? Thanks all.View attachment 759425 View attachment 759426 View attachment 759427
Looks great.:rock2: 40:1 is what was recommended when that saw came out.

Not sure if that may be a problem but gotta check it out now. Thanks for pointing it out. I may can stop it if don't go too far.

Earlier 045 and 056 had a smaller diameter (8 mm) the later Super 056 and all the MagII 056 were up sized to 10 mm I don't know when they changed but it is probably in post #4 by Farmer Steve. If your saw is a Magnum I would guess the serial # is 9 digit and starts out with 114 xxx xxx or higher I have one starting with 120 xxx xxx My 9 digit 54 mm saws start with 113 xxx xxx and a few have 8 mm bar studs and their numbers are lower (but I assume someone has over sized the one I have that is a 10 mm stud without a chain brake) . Then you have the older style chain brake with the longer bar stud and normally 8 MM ... To me the 056 saws are like the VW beetle They sure look alike but there is constant changes some where.

Looks like a small crack where the flange meets the case, Possibly from throwing the chain alot. Guess I will be getting a new case off of fleabay. I am looking at one currently listed for $65.
It looks clean but is there a difference between magnum 2 cases and regular o56AV cases? He claims it is a mag 2 case.20190915_122933.resized.rotated.jpg

Looks like a small crack where the flange meets the case, Possibly from throwing the chain alot. Guess I will be getting a new case off of fleabay. I am looking at one currently listed for $65.
It looks clean but is there a difference between magnum 2 cases and regular o56AV cases? He claims it is a mag 2 case.View attachment 759681
Definitely a difference, they will not interchange Beg for a manual and someone will hook you up ..
Part number is cast into part .. That crack shouldn't stop you using the saw unless there is more than shown.. I would venture to say it got pinched bad or some sort of a vengeful tree episode.

I forgot the tech notes I got has part numbers and such in it. Just checked it and I got the part number for the case so if it is not the correct one I will send it back. I am trying an expirament with the old SEM ignition. I found some cracks in the plastic casing. I am baking it for a couple of hours to try and dry it out to see if it will work again then repair cracks with epoxy. This site is great and the community here is awesome.

Latest posts

Back