Adjusting Bar Oil on non-adjustable Oil Saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ColdNorCal

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Bought a used 5020 and while getting it running I noticed the large amounts of oil it was spitting out. Has anyone come up with a way to adjust the oil on a non-adjustable oiler? I thought about using a smaller feeder tube to limit oil flow. Maybe a hose with the same OD but smaller ID.

It depend on the design of your oil pump, I have modified a 038 pump to my needs. You need to take it apart and take pictures, it may or may not be easy to modify it.

Bought a used 5020 and while getting it running I noticed the large amounts of oil it was spitting out. Has anyone come up with a way to adjust the oil on a non-adjustable oiler? I thought about using a smaller feeder tube to limit oil flow. Maybe a hose with the same OD but smaller ID.
Is it slinging off the bar or running out of the clutch cover?

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Using Husqvarna bar oil. The saw is a Poulan pp5020 and I do realize it pumps oil even at idle.

Apologies for being misleading. I just bought the used saw and got it running, al biet not well, and the thing was spewing oil. Waiting for a carb order to be delivered and am just planning ahead. In short, I have not actually used the saw. Just when getting it running the bar oil puddles seemed excessive. Im just planning ahead on what the options are if the oil needs to me reduced.

Are you guys saying the mix 90w gear oil, or stp, with the bar oil to thicken it up? Or run 90w straight?

I have a saw that oils at idle(Makita DCS34). I find it pools up fast and when you pull the throttle it slings a ton, in fact it will very quickly flood out the clutch and start slipping. I almost always get a puddle under it when I put it away too, so I have a special spot just for it! I try to not let it idle as much as possible!!

What seems like too much oil is a good thing, no such thing as too much oil. If you have too little - that's a problem.

Back