Ring Wear

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just being nosey, but why did you pull the P&C off? Was power dropping?

I'm running a ported big bore chinese MS361 for firewooding this year. It is kicking along nicely, but your pics would give a guy some pause.

When you take it apart to see how the 480 is fairing you might take a look at the chamfer on your exhaust port. It wearing the ring right there so it might be a bit sharp. Or those rings suck....or both......a cord and a half is awfully soon to ever see visible wear.....I've pulled apart 30 yr old saw that didn't show anywhere near than much wear. Those pre tariff rings or post tariff???......

image.jpg I neglected to give all the facts . This saw saw two other top end malfunctions . One piston lost the top ring locating pin and another one was my fault when I neglected to put in both wrist pin clips which caused the chain oil to boil in the tank, so where’s my Darwin Award? So as one poster so observantly suggested, the jug may be oval now.
No biggy, when they made that saw, they made lots of them. Thanks for the replies and I’ll try to quote those that quoted me.
Anyway, I have since moved into another saw. Check out this Gibson.

When you take it apart to see how the 480 is fairing you might take a look at the chamfer on your exhaust port. It wearing the ring right there so it might be a bit sharp. Or those rings suck....or both......a cord and a half is awfully soon to ever see visible wear.....I've pulled apart 30 yr old saw that didn't show anywhere near than much wear. Those pre tariff rings or post tariff???......
Good call Cantdog, rather than risk another inevitable malfunction , I’ll replace the jug as it seems low on comp and I don’t wish to risk the 480 ring.

Back