Echo Gurus... CS 400 or CS 4510?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like the cs400 very well, my new cs490 probably less then 3 tanks through it, so far I don't think highly of it like the cs400. The cs400 is in a nutshell user friendly, can keep going long with it, no pain. cs490 feels weak so far and isn't near as smooth and easy starting.
Sad to hear that. I had the dealer richen mine up before leaving the shop. Also I run Hi octane 40:1 in everything. Good luck.

I like the cs400 very well, my new cs490 probably less then 3 tanks through it, so far I don't think highly of it like the cs400. The cs400 is in a nutshell user friendly, can keep going long with it, no pain. cs490 feels weak so far and isn't near as smooth and easy starting.
Even when it was broke in my 490 didn’t impress me. Talked to @James Miller and did like he did, converted from .325 to 3/8 lp. Totally different animal now.

Even when it was broke in my 490 didn’t impress me. Talked to @James Miller and did like he did, converted from .325 to 3/8 lp. Totally different animal now.
So the conversion made it cut better faster?
Where did you find a Rim drive to fit it?
My guess????? Special Oregon design?
Bars and Chains I have on hand. The Rim Sprocket that fits a Sthil, maybe?
7 tooth? 8 tooth?

Ordered the rim from Nate, he has them made. I shortened the tail on an A041 bar to fit, redrilled oil/adjustment holes in bar. Now I can run same chains on my 400 & 490. Cuts much faster.

I own a Echo blower and trimmer and love them to death. Easy starting, dead reliable, quiet with great ergonomics.

But I used a CS-400 for a while, and found it lacking in power compared to my Husqvarna 340.

I own a Echo blower and trimmer and love them to death. Easy starting, dead reliable, quiet with great ergonomics.

But I used a CS-400 for a while, and found it lacking in power compared to my Husqvarna 340.
To be honest, the 400 really doesn’t wake up until muff mod and carb retune.

That's right, as they come with a really clogged up muffler and tuned lean they are just average at best. With a good muff modd and tuned good they really rip. Best buy for any saw , maybe the $350 CS590 comes close. Steve

So the conversion made it cut better faster?
Where did you find a Rim drive to fit it?
My guess????? Special Oregon design?
Bars and Chains I have on hand. The Rim Sprocket that fits a Sthil, maybe?
7 tooth? 8 tooth?

You can use the standard Oregon 3/8, small spline, 7 point drive rim.
I'm running an 18", 095 mount bar (from Lowes, fits Poulan, craftsman, etc), 62 drivers. Now here is where it becomes a matter of personal preference. The extra driver on the rim requires that you either:
  1. Shorten the tail on the bar
  2. Add a drive link to the chain
OR
Run a 16", 56 drive link bar with a 57 link chain. Both are "off the shelf" at any hardware store.

You can use the standard Oregon 3/8, small spline, 7 point drive rim.
I'm running an 18", 095 mount bar (from Lowes, fits Poulan, craftsman, etc), 62 drivers. Now here is where it becomes a matter of personal preference. The extra driver on the rim requires that you either:
  1. Shorten the tail on the bar
  2. Add a drive link to the chain
OR
Run a 16", 56 drive link bar with a 57 link chain. Both are "off the shelf" at any hardware store.
Now THAT'S good information. Very detailed, well written and I can use that information the rest of my life. Things like that makes a site like this a great place to share and learn. Have a great day.

You don't want to use a 3/8 7 tooth driver on a 40cc saw, it will cut slower than a 3/8 6 tooth. Steve
Im thinking thats a differen saw,,,, BUT still this is VERY good information. I love discussion like this. Makes me feel like we are all sitting around a camp fire chatting. Every fall (when it cools off here) we gather up in the evening and build a fire. The ice chest has beer and soft drinks. I play the guitar and make up a song or two. Sometimes drum and we all chant. Then we all talk. The little ones crawl up into adult laps and fall asleep. The fire begins to die. Some adults fall silent watching the wind change shadows upon the embers. Often I'm mesmerized and start seeing shadowy figures in the softly glowing embers. Finally a chill reminds me it's time to call it a night. My daughter places my granddaughter in the Van. My big old grandsons one by one hug me saying Papaw I love you. The little fat lady that always shows up hobbles to her car. I make my way to the cabin, stoke the wood heater and sit in the silence, basking in the joy of my experience. Growing up mostly alone, I planted seeds of love and reaped a bountiful harvest of friends and family that are absolutely awesome. My joy is not in possessions, for what a man owns, owns him. A simple cabin, enough to be secure and plenty to share those, make me happy. I pray that I'll have enough and enough to give away. Smiles and happy faces are my reward. Be Blessed.

Back