Yet another oiling issue - Stihl 260 and 026

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MartDalb

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Hi all

Got a question regarding Stihl MS260 and 026.

I have both, and they seem to oil vastly different from eachother, even though they have the same "non adjustable" oiler.

My Stihl MS260 - ( from 2011), is not using half as much oil as my Stihl 026 ( from 1998).
Id actually say, the MS260 is using too little, especially compared to what the 026 spits out.

My chain and bar honestly feels, "underoiled" on the Ms260.

So my question.
Does the older model of 026 just use more oil, or do I need to open up my MS260 and give the pump/hose a solid cleaning?

Thanks, as always, for all feedback and input.

Pictures can be provided if need be. :)

the 026 oiler runs off the crank and is pumping even at idle. not familiar with t he 260 but it is a different setup.

Correct me if I am wrong, but they are both non "pro" models, both with same oil pump system and runs off the crank with a wormgear etc. (old style non adjustable), they just seem to oil VASTLY different in amount, wondering if the MS260 is either.

A: Made differently and pumps less oil than the older model 026
or
B: Needs a cleaning etc. o_O

Check the bar on your 260. Maybe it’s partially clogged or not lining up correctly with the oil outlet.

Check the bar on your 260. Maybe it’s partially clogged or not lining up correctly with the oil outlet.

Yeah Thanks. Did that today and it does spray oil, a little better perhaps after cleaning it. But still not as much as the old 026. Weird... :dizzy:.
Maybe ill just take it apart and ser if its in need of cleaning or similar. I dont like that My chain feels..... Dry'ish

checked oilfilter + oil hose, was fine, nothing clogged.
took off clutch, etc, cleaned oilpump + top oil hose, looks fine and clean, air can pass through 1 way and slighty the other, that should be ok right? (only when turning the oil drive ofc)

Is it my "air valve" the one near the oil/chain?

I changed this way back, because it would not oil AT ALL, after changing it I had oil, but...never enough.

Thoughts?

update.

I actually have a "new adjustable" oil pump, just poped it in to see, it fits fine, and I have the correct worm/clutch etc for it.
Its from an old dead MS260 pro model.

See picture.

Should I give that a try, it fits, and my saw has the + and - for adjusting. DSC_0894.JPG DSC_0896.JPG

Supposedly debris can accumulate inside of the oil pump body not allowing it to pump oil. You have to take the small roll pin out of the adjustment screw shaft and draw it back 1/4" then the pump plunger can move enough to get the debris out. I have a similar thread to this going. These pumps are sensitive to debris and the pickup doesn't filter enough to keep it out of them. I haven't performed this repair yet, but going to try it tonight.

quick update.

Installed new oil pump, with all the needed parts to upgrade from "non adjustable" to "pro" model.

It oils as it should now, at full oil +

Checking the old pump + a few other pumps I had from various projects.
The amount of air you can "suck" from the hose outlet seems to show pretty spot on, how the oil will work.
Lotsa air, lotsa oil, and ofc. if no/little air, you got a clogged pump.

I have not been able to clean the "old" pumps well enough to make them oil as they should.

If anyone has ideas, let me know.

I also have a 026 and a 260. I think my 026 puts out more oil as well, neither are adjustable. I know my 026 with a 20” bar was not getting near enough oil, maybe just old and tired? Set it up like the 260 with 16” 3/8 bar and it is much better. Both my saws were bought well used and will probably get new pumps eventually.

I also have a 026 and a 260. I think my 026 puts out more oil as well, neither are adjustable. I know my 026 with a 20” bar was not getting near enough oil, maybe just old and tired? Set it up like the 260 with 16” 3/8 bar and it is much better. Both my saws were bought well used and will probably get new pumps eventually.

The pumps don't wear out. They just get clogged with sawdust that makes it through the screen in the tank.

The non adjustable 026 and 260 oilers will put out plenty of oil for 20" bars, mine all do and many I service have 20" bars used more for reach than cutting diameter.I cut 16 - 18 " hardwood with mine and they oil fine, more often its the oil hole in the bar that is too small, make it bigger and oil will flow.

Latest posts

Back